Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 08-28-2017, 07:15 PM

Default Mbox 2 problem (not lighting up)

Hey guys... so I'm at my wit's end here trying to fix an Mbox 2. Yes, I know It's old and outdated lol No, I don't have any money to get something better : /
It doesn't light up at all and if I'm VERY LUCKY , I can get it to register in device manager and it will show up as 'unknown device' under the universal serial bus controllers section. It also says (sometimes) 'Usb not recognized' when I plug it in but often it will go away before it 'installs' and is able to say 'unknown device' in device manager.

What I think happened is that I tried to install an mbox 2 pro driver instead of the regular mbox 2 driver and it messed it up. I'm using it on windows 8 64 bit with no problem for years. I had a problem all of the sudden with one of the inputs, hence me trying to mess with the drivers. I also may have installed a firmware update at around the same time (1.22 or 1.24 --> 1.38). I also have access to XP (no sound, no internet, bare minimum install) and windows 7 installs.

Support has ended on this product and Avid has been 0 help, only directing me to the drivers page with the 1.38 firmware update and the newest mbox 2 USB driver which I had already tried numerous times. Sending it in for repair would cost more than it's worth anyway. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your time :)

-matt
Old 08-28-2017, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 problem (not lighting up)

In the time that this question has not been answered someone has already nearly sold me on getting a behringer u-phoria model. I really don't see any reason why I shouldn't at this point... cheaper NEW than buying a used mbox2, is and will be supported, compatible with everything out, and does even more at a higher quality level...

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UMC...HORIA+UMC404HD
Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 problem (not lighting up)

Never mind, just ordered a behringer u-phoria 404hd based on someones recommendation on another board. Very pleased to not give Avid any more of my money and even more pleased to only spend 100 bucks on something that is an upgrade on what I had. I will probably end up telling others about my experience with Avid and discourage business with them due to this experience. They would be wise to take heed as even people in their own community and their own employees will do the same and say they went to sh*t after they axed the original Digidesign management and took over. They must REALLY be screwing up. Whatever, not my concern anymore, very happy with my decision. Take care :)