Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM

Default Bouncing in Superior Drummer 2

Hi Guys

Can I ask what you SD2 users prefer to do with your drum tracks in Pro Tools? Do you bounce? If so, how do you prefer to do it?

Do folks prefer to bounce with bleed?

Or do you prefer not to bounce? Or is this ludicrous?

Do you just import your 10-12 (or even more) wav files into PT as individual audio tracks?

I set up SD2 on a stereo instrument track (eventually used just for the Kick) and then have the other kit pieces come through a number of stereo aux tracks - matching the SD2 mixer's outputs to the PT aux input's plugin inputs. Seems to work great.

I noticed the PT template over at the Toontrack forum had EZ Player in the equation. Why?

Stewart
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Bouncing in Superior Drummer 2

As to EZ Player, I have no idea. I do what I suspect is the same thing you do. Split out to a batch of stereo AUX tracks until I am ready to archive, or transfer to another studio. At that point, I swap the AUX tracks for AUDIO tracks and record all(AUX send to a new audio track for the kick). Lately I have been using Addictive Drums more often. I just like the way it sounds equally(unless I have a specific need that only SD2 can handle) and I find it easier to deal with as I can use mono tracks for most of the drums(stereo for OH and Room only). As to bleed, I can take it or leave it. For me, I put my own "spin" on the sound by busing to my own room track(with a particular room reverb). By the time I add my plugins, it ends up sounding unique to my mixing style and not a carbon copy of the next studio with the same plugin.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
At that point, I swap the AUX tracks for AUDIO tracks and record all(AUX send to a new audio track for the kick).
Brilliant Albee.

Especially opting for having your own sound/style. It's great that you put your own "spin" on it. We should do this with everything we can.

So, in SD2, do you send your individual auxes to a buss and set your new audio track's input to that buss and record? I recall watching Kenny Gioia do something like this but with one instrument track which had a CPU intensive softh synth on it.

Just trying to get my head around the different ways to print to audio.

Stewart
Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow886 View Post
Brilliant Albee.

Especially opting for having your own sound/style. It's great that you put your own "spin" on it. We should do this with everything we can.

So, in SD2, do you send your individual auxes to a buss and set your new audio track's input to that buss and record? I recall watching Kenny Gioia do something like this but with one instrument track which had a CPU intensive softh synth on it.

Just trying to get my head around the different ways to print to audio.

Stewart
That's it. Open the SD2 mixer and set each sound to its own bus. Then select those buses on your new tracks(AUX for simply splitting out, or AUDIO so you can record the audio). SD2 offers way more bus feeds than you need. For me, I keep all the kick channels to one bus, all the snare channels to another....but you can split as you need(you can balance those elements in the SD2 mixer before they exit via the buses). I have experimented with using mono tracks for each, but then you have to fuss with the PAN controls in the SD2 mixer(something Addictive Drums does better), but it all works. You'll want to try verious methods and find what works. I tried saving the entire tweaked setup as a template, but most times, I still have to re-assign the inputs of the AUX/Audio tracks as they like to come in de-activated(could be operator error)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM

Great Info Albee.

Thanks.

I'm glad you pointed that method out to me as I was thinking of something more complicated (SD2 busses >>> Auxes >>> Audio). Must have been tired last night.

I think what I'll do first as an experiment is group my similar tracks to one buss, like you do (kicks to one buss, snares to another etc). Then output the busses to individual mono tracks, except of overheads and ambient (Room) mics which I will keep stereo.

By the way, nice studio and music you have there.

Stewart