Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-04-2006, 12:24 AM

Default Dolby Licence

Hey guys, our company is looking to apply for a Dolby Licence, and were wondering what would be required? We do mostly advertising work and need to translate our spots to cinema, and a Dolby Licence would be great to keep it all in house. What is the process, and what extra equipment is required? Any information you guys can provide would be great. based in Sydney, Australia btw.

Thanks, Matt
Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Dolby Licence

Are you doing them in 5.1?
If it's simple surround, then just get the dolby plug-in, and print an LT-RT.
As far as 5.1 is concerned, Dolby makes the MO from your stems. They own the equipment, and do not sell it.
Usually the production company applies and pays for the Dolby license which includes the MO process. In your case I guess it would be the Advertising company who is actually making the spots.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 09-04-2006, 01:45 PM

Hench, you're misleading him. You can't produce a valid Print Master for a theatrical release without a hardware encoder, installed in a calibrated, Dolby approved room.
Matt, in order to qualify your room for Print mastering, you need to meet several requirements. The most important are: speaker placement, speaker amplitude and frequency response, minimum equipment for print mastering etc. I'd start by contacting Dolby Labs, because they can help not only in supplying the list of needs, but also proposing some solutions.
Good luck
Branko
Old 09-04-2006, 03:02 PM

lots of information from Dolby Labs here.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Hench, you're misleading him. You can't produce a valid Print Master for a theatrical release without a hardware encoder, installed in a calibrated, Dolby approved room.
Matt, in order to qualify your room for Print mastering, you need to meet several requirements. The most important are: speaker placement, speaker amplitude and frequency response, minimum equipment for print mastering etc. I'd start by contacting Dolby Labs, because they can help not only in supplying the list of needs, but also proposing some solutions.
Good luck
Branko
I thought for commercials they allow you to send your mix to Dolby directly, and they will encode.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:08 PM

Thanks, i have sent an email onto Dolby, so hopefully that will clear some light on it. We have been outsourcing this recently, and i wasnt sure what the link between the studio that did the mix, and how it gets to film, obviously there is the MO part, but i didnt think this was been done at the studios?

Anyone else care to share knowledge?

thanks!

Matt
Old 09-04-2006, 08:25 PM

the MO is made in the DMU or the SEU4... and that is owned by Dolby but comes to your studio when it is needed. you will have to buy a Dolby meter bridge. the MO disk goes from your studio to (hopefully) the Lab where it is married to the picture.

that explain?
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-04-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:

That's exactly what I meant.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 09-04-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

That's exactly what I meant.
that's not how i read your post.

matt, if you are doing SR•D AND SR (LtRt) you need to be approved by Dolby, which was outlined by Branko. You may have to purchase a few things (perf screen, meter bridge...), or move somethings, or do some acoustic work. as Hench says, the prod. co. applies and pays for the license and they come to you and a Dolby tech shows up. you do the SR•D and the LtRt at the same time, and if there are clashes or overs for the optical, you can do just that pass again.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-04-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks, i have sent an email onto Dolby, so hopefully that will clear some light on it. We have been outsourcing this recently, and i wasnt sure what the link between the studio that did the mix, and how it gets to film, obviously there is the MO part, but i didnt think this was been done at the studios?

Anyone else care to share knowledge?

thanks!

Matt
We call that kinescoping here, Our film department does the Dolby mixing 5.1 and LTRT (Dolby approved suite) recorded on a MO(we got 1 btw) then send to Dolby Bangkok or Australia for printing.
Less is More