How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM

Default Using MIDI to record drums HELP

hey guys,

i'm fairly new to pro tools and recording in general, so i've been running into quite a few problems as you can imagine. right now, i'm trying to find the best way to record drums using the drum kits off my korg m50(which is run through a ua 25-ex interface) with the MIDI editor.

the whole idea i have is that i'm going to create a MIDI track for each instrument (snare, kick, cymbals, etc) that i can record as audio later to mix in post production.

Here's my problem: only the first MIDI track responds to the notes I write on the MIDI editor.

If anyone could lead me in the right direction here i'd really appreciate it! thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Using MIDI to record drums HELP

any help at all would be appreciated!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Hi, not sure about working with the Korg m50 but I do midi drums into PT10 using an Alesis midi drum kit, midi out into one midi track of PT, create a new Instrument track, insert my fav VSTi drum plugin, assign input from midi track, record/edit midi track (one track with all drums,cymbals included).
Finally I setup VSTi plugin to output all parts of kit to separate audio tracks and print them to wav in PT.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Mani
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 PM

First off, as you're a beginner, I would recommend patience, and that you try to enjoy the learning process - which never ends...really.

Rather than looking to a forum for all the answers, your best bet is to find a comprehensive tutorial source like this.

But to answer your question, MIDI drum kits, whether in your Korg, or in one of the Virtual Instruments like Xpand, included with Pro Tools, are set up to respond to 1 MIDI Channel. You may use several MIDI Tracks, one for snare and kick, one for hihat, one for cymbals, etc... that share the same MIDI Channel assigned to your MIDI drum kit.

But honestly, I think a comprehensive tutorial is what you need. The learning process will be that much more pleasurable if you have a definitive (video) guide to help you along the way.

Best of luck! :)
Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM

+1