Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2001, 09:36 AM

Default Why Dont We Do This?????

I really think it would be so helpful to have a section on this forum where pro tools users could download tracks that they have mixed using protools.

When reading many of the threads I find it difficult to judge who knows what they are talking about. To the users that are getting a great sound from your protools mixes, lets hear them, then we could all share ideas and knowledge and basically help each other.

I'm positive this would be very successfull and would help many pro tools users, new and old.

According to one of my web designer pals. This would be really easy to implement.

At the end of the day some of us are taking advice from engineers/producers and we havent even heard any of their stuff. Yes I'm sceptical sometimes!!.

So come on Digi/PT users lets give this a try.

Kind regards [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2001, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Why Dont We Do This?????

You know that's not a bad idea, especially now that 5.2 is available. Digidesign can disignate an area that members can access mixes or examples to download.

I would be interested in hearing some mixes and knowing what's used on the front and back end of each mix. Maybe some mixes can be A/B'd with and without certain interfaces or clocks like the Apogee or nanosync/aardsync etc...

Now would be a great time for guys like me because I'm looking to get a clock/interface but would like to hear the difference between them.
Old 10-13-2001, 01:25 PM

Bumping this as I want to hear from more users.
Old 10-13-2001, 05:59 PM

Why don't you post a song on MP3.com and we'll judge if it's worth Helping you out!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2001, 11:33 PM

Maybe we should all audition to get on to the forum. Advice is free and food for thought. You get to choose what you believe and use for yourself. I've been doing this for a long time, so I already know what I think most of the time. But I still learn a lot here, even from the guys that I disagree with.

Steve
Old 10-14-2001, 07:22 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I really think it would be so helpful to have a section on this forum where pro tools users could download tracks that they have mixed using protools.

When reading many of the threads I find it difficult to judge who knows what they are talking about. To the users that are getting a great sound from your protools mixes, lets hear them, then we could all share ideas and knowledge and basically help each other.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The successful folks getting great sound out of PT are the ones who are making a living selling their stuff, not posting it for free downloads. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Lee Blaske
Old 10-14-2001, 08:10 AM

Mp3s might degrade the sound quality which is what one would be listening for, and to retain the quality the files would be rather large and use a lot of bandwidth which is an expense I doubt digi woulkd feel obligated to pay for. I suppose people could just put mix files on their personal FTP site and put a link to it from within the DUC though.
Old 10-14-2001, 01:07 PM

The amount of bandwidth needed to upload and download uncompressed audio files would turn the Digi website into a total joke.

If anyone really wants this then they should set up their own server .
Old 10-14-2001, 04:57 PM

IMHO it's a waste of time.

When you get advice from someone, usually you can tell if they know what's up. If they don't, I've noticed that the DUC users are pretty good watchdogs and will correct the culprit.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a way to hear other guys' stuff, but I can't take the time to go listen to an audio byte just to see if I wanna listen to this guy or that guy. I should have the sense to "take the meat and leave the bones" from what I read.

However, remember that some things just work for some people that don't for others. So judging in this way could be very short sighted.
Old 10-14-2001, 11:20 PM

anyone who is a pro, probably is working, and dosent need to prove to anything.
taking too much advive verbatium in a chat room or forum can be hazardous to your health.