Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-28-2020, 06:42 PM

Default Undesirable space gap in the beginning and end of a track when bouncing or exporting

Hey guys, I am having a ridiculous problem here trying to bounce or export a LOOP in Pro Tools 2020 Ultimate. It´s a 15 seconds sample of a pneumatic tool for a game. When I select my clip already edited (it´s a seamless loop, and I need it to be cut right in the transient) and go for bounce, I get a file with a space in the beginning and in the end. I am trying to solve this almost all day, it´s killing me. It´s lenght is 0:00:025. The only thing I can tell after trying everything I could is that when I choose the physical output in the bounce setup, it gives me a even more delayed gap in the beginning. I am using Windows 10, RME UCX, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, i9, and I also tryed in my OSX, High Sierra. Both acts the same way. Hope someone can help me with that. It´s a shame to spend my money in this DAW, and be forced to use another one like Reaper or Logic to solve it. Thank you!

In the photo, you can see the original audio I want to loop, and below is the bounced audio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro tools.jpg (35.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Undesirable space gap in the beginning and end of a track when bouncing or exporting

Do you have Delay Compensation enabled?

I know you’ve got no plugins inserted on those tracks, but unsure if that pic was just to illustrate the difference and not the actual session used to create the sound.

Having said that, not having PDC on shouldn’t add anything to the end, but it would add silence at the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Undesirable space gap in the beginning and end of a track when bouncing or export

It's not Handles is it?

I always turn that off in Preferences.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-28-2020, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Undesirable space gap in the beginning and end of a track when bouncing or export

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
It's not Handles is it?

I always turn that off in Preferences.

Unless I’m mistaken, handles only applies to Audiosuite renders.

Is there an option to have them in bounces as well?

Old 05-28-2020, 10:37 PM

Pre-roll/post-roll?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-29-2020, 02:05 AM

Guessing - have you ticked "enforce avid compatibility" - try unticking
Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 PM

Guys, I´ve just found the problem. It´s the MP3 encoding. When I do wav or aiff, it goes perfectly. Somehow, when you do the bounce to mp3, it generates this little in and out space. I had to change my workflow a little bit because of that, downloaded a wave to mp3 conversor, so I can generate the wav and then a correct mp3 file. I searched for any other setup for the mp3 inside Pro Tools, but there´s any. Well, that´s it. Thank you all for your help on this task!
Old 05-29-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorcomerio View Post
Guys, I´ve just found the problem. It´s the MP3 encoding. When I do wav or aiff, it goes perfectly. Somehow, when you do the bounce to mp3, it generates this little in and out space. I had to change my workflow a little bit because of that, downloaded a wave to mp3 conversor, so I can generate the wav and then a correct mp3 file. I searched for any other setup for the mp3 inside Pro Tools, but there´s any. Well, that´s it. Thank you all for your help on this task!
A friend of mine has just been battling this and he passed this on (he doesn't have an account here):
Good detective work on figuring out it was the mp3 conversion that was doing it, I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, from what I’ve seen, converting it to mp3 in an external program might not fix the problem, this is a side effect of the mp3 format. Logic and iTunes embed information about this extra silence in the file so they can deal with it and the file will be the proper length, but I don’t know how Pro Tools handles this. Ableton doesn’t handle it well. Do sound effects for the game you’re working on have to be in mp3 format? If not, don’t use it.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorcomerio View Post

Oh. You didn’t mention you were converting it to MP3.

My advice - don’t. You’ll ALWAYS have a bit of silence, at least at the start. There’s no way around it. Using a third party won’t fix that.

If you want the files to loop perfectly, keep them in a lossless format like wav.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:39 PM

As an experiment, do the bounce at the same sample rate and bit depth as the session. Then go to the CLIPS bin and use Export Clips as Files, set the output format to MP3 and see if that adds the blank at the front of the clip

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave