Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2018, 09:54 AM

Default Re: The Mystery of the Purple Dongle

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Avid video licenses have a purple dongle. If you ever had Media Composer or Symphony on that system it could have been for those licenses.
No, do not have those.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:57 AM

thanks everyone for the responses, but I think Dave has it. I just don't recall which of my plugins I needed it for. The sad thing is, I just lost the dang thing! I had all 3 in my pocket, and I think it fell out when I took out my car keys and I didn't realize it...and that could have been just about anywhere! I guess I'll find out when some VI or plugin won't load in. Then maybe I can find a way to get a replacement.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
thanks everyone for the responses, but I think Dave has it. I just don't recall which of my plugins I needed it for. The sad thing is, I just lost the dang thing! I had all 3 in my pocket, and I think it fell out when I took out my car keys and I didn't realize it...and that could have been just about anywhere! I guess I'll find out when some VI or plugin won't load in. Then maybe I can find a way to get a replacement.
If I may make a suggestion (not just for you but others) is to go to a bike shop and get one of those little pouches that attaches under the seat (or anywheres else on the bike). Put you dongles in there - you're less likely to put something like that in your pocket and lose it when pulling out car keys or anything else in the pocket.

QAPLA!
Old 06-09-2018, 03:37 PM

Nuendo uses the eLicenser. Maybe something from Steinberg?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 PM

Hi,

I’ve got one for Arturia soft synths and King legacy collection.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:28 PM

Well, I found out what the dongle was for. It is the elicenser for reFX Nexus 2. I totally forgot that I got that when I bought Nexus a few years back. The rub is, reFX doesn't have any way for me to re-download my authorization code onto a new dongle...you only get to download it once from them. I can, of course, BUY a new license...which is essentially repurchasing the product. Yeah, they'll give me a whopping 10% discount. So for another $264 I can have Nexus 2 back. Not to mention the additional money I've spent on several of their expansions. I probably have close to $800 invested with them.

I simply can't believe that in 2018 we can't have a better system to protect software from piracy than these damn dongles! iLok, elicenser, whatever the hell it is Reason uses...the system sucks! What really frosts me is the entire system exists because of dishonest people out there. I'm not one of them (and I try hard not to be one either), but I have the pleasure of paying for their sins! Nice!

Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 PM

+1
Old 06-19-2018, 07:17 PM

Default The Mystery of the Purple Dongle

I’ve never used or owned any sw that uses eLicenser for protection. Is there no such theft or lost dongle replacement system like iLok? If not, that’s pretty harsh.

Say what you want about Pace (and I’m no massive fan) at least there are reasonable options for recovering licenses. I mean, we’re talking about a physical device that is susceptible to loss, damage or theft.

I think it’s pretty outrageous that there is no way of recovering these licenses. A minimal fee is one thing, but having to essentially purchase a license again is just crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
.... eLicenser for protection. Is there no such theft or lost dongle replacement system like iLok? ....
If you register your eLicenser with Steinberg, you may be able to get your lost eLicenser product/s back:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-what-do-i-do/
Old 06-20-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
If you register your eLicenser with Steinberg, you may be able to get your lost eLicenser product/s back:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-what-do-i-do/

only for Steinberg products. Nexus is not a Steinberg product. reFX just has an agreement with them to use their elicenser system. Not having any way to recover a lost dongle license is just ridiculous in my opinion. I know others agree. At least iLok has a path to recover a lost or damaged iLok.

What I am NOT going to do right now is fork over almost $250 to get another license from reFX. If I have that much extra cash, maybe I'll just get Avenger. I may just toss Nexus altogether. Yeah it sounds great, but so do a dozen other similar VIs.