Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2015, 03:28 PM

Default Hardware or Software issues - not sure which

I'm running a Late 2011 MacBook Pro (2.4GHz i5 processor) with 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM. I'm running Pro Tools 10.3.10 on OSX 10.8.5 and an MBOX 2 on USB 2.0.

I've have noticed projects locking up (Error notice suggests "remove some Native plugins or disable Elastic Audio") when using Waves Plugins - more often than not ir reverb (I've selected the 'Economy' version of the plugin, and selected the 'LOW CPU' option to help alleviate the problem) and a few other 'usuals' - RBass and a couple of compressors.

I've bussed multiple tracks to a stereo channel in order to just use one 'verb plugin.

I know that my MBP is getting a little bit long in the tooth, but I just wondered how much difference a faster HD would make. All the projects are in the same internal HD as the OS and apps at the moment (which I know is not recommended) and could either go for an external firewire drive, or replace the Superdrive with an internal SSD. Anybody got any advice or experience in doing this, and how much extra performance were you able to eek out of your setup?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Hardware or Software issues - not sure which

Why not put the reverb plugin on a send so it can be sent to as many tracks as you want.

Commit the elastic audio tracks.

Waves IR plugin is super heavy, even in economy low cpu. Try a regular reverb. Ren Verb is still used on major projects these days. Light on the cpu.

Waves plugins beyond the ir reverb and h reverb are pretty light on the cpu.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:59 PM

I'm already running a reverb bus, and have committed (and consolidated)all of my elastic tracks. I've turned off the elastic audio on the audio tracks too.

I'm tempted to go with an external FW800 drive for my projects to reduce some of the load on my Macbook's hard drive, just wondered how much of a difference it would make.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:32 PM

Still getting the 9403 errors on current projects - seriously looking into a 2nd HD. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_5 View Post
Still getting the 9403 errors on current projects - seriously looking into a 2nd HD. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?
You are definitely going to need a second drive for your work. Especially given that your system drive is only 5400 rpm unless you have the ssd. If you're going in to replace the Superdrive with something else I'd also replace that system drive with an ssd. Two ssd's should alleviate your issues. Then again having an i5 cpu isn't helping things either.

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:29 AM

Yeah, I know the i5 is a stumbling block, but most of my processing is done with outboard stuff, so I really only use EZDrummer, a couple of plugin in instruments (Korg Poly6, Kontakt 5) and then the IRVerb from Waves.

Looks like I'll have to get my (tiny) screwdriver out before too long.