Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-10-2003, 09:41 PM

Default G4 Core Card/RAM Hardware Problem

Has anyone else experienced the following.

G4 Dual 1.2 MDD
Pro Tools 6.2 Accel (One HD core card, one HD Accel card, one HD proccess card). Does this make it an HD3? I dunno anymore.

Populating the MAC with more than two sticks of 512MB of RAM cashes the OS. When the Digidesign HD core card is removed, the computer works fine with all the RAM slots populated. When the Core card is installed the computer crashes with anything more than two RAM slots populated.

Called Digi and the tech said this is a known issue. In fact, he said that HIS own computer behaved the same way. Digi currently has no fix for this and cannot explain why it happens.

Has anyone tracked this down to a specific issue?

This computer has been through a complete authorized Apple service center diagnosis. The RAM has been replaced, checked and rechecked. The only time the computer has a problem with more than two RAM slots occupied is when the DIGI core card is installed in PCI slot 1.

We have not yet tried powering up the system with all the RAM slots occupied and something other than the Core card installed in PCI slot 1. Does anyone know if powering up a system with a process card installed but not connected to any other Digi hardware will damage the processor card?

Thanks for suggestions, comments, assistance.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:07 AM

Default Re: G4 Core Card/RAM Hardware Problem

Have you checked the video card??? There is an issue with the Nvidia cards loading the buss, yes its AGP, but it affects the PCI buss. Recommend a Radeon (ATI) 9000 MAC PRO edition.

Do a search for Nvidia here.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:52 PM

Default Re: G4 Core Card/RAM Hardware Problem

I recently installed memory into a G4 MDD 1.25DP and it always seemed to boot up just fine (this is running both 10.3 and 10.2.8). My system is an HD core, an HD Accel and an HD Accel, so it's not quite the same as yours, but here are the configurations that worked for me:

stock Apple 256MB DIMM + 2 512M DIMMs, (16 chip variety, Crucial PC2700)
4 512MB DIMMs, (16 chip variety Crucial PC2700)

The 8/16 chip thing is important for memory for the G4 MDD. The Apple manual is quite clear that you cannot use DIMMs made with 512Mb devices. So, to install 512MB DIMMs, they must use 16 256Mb chips, not 8 512Mb chips. Maybe this is an issue...

I hope you can track this down and fix it!!

-monte-