Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2010, 08:51 AM

Default Best way to convert LE session to HD session?

Whats the easiest way to import or convert an LE session into HD?

Thanks!!
-Chris
Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Best way to convert LE session to HD session?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyelvis View Post
Whats the easiest way to import or convert an LE session into HD?
1. Double-Click on the Session Document

or

2. File Menu / Open

Now the first one involves more words in the description, but the second one is more ambiguous as I do not have the full path information from your Pro Tools HD mac to the session file in question. It might need the involvement of a Pro Tools philosopher to properly determine which is the easier method of the two. I eagerly await Guru Prototoolsio's interpretation if he should grace us with his presence today.

Now, I'm exhausted - and must go and meditate.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM

No need to convert anything. Just drag the session onto your audio drive and open it in HD. If you want, you can go thru and replace RTAS plugins with TDM versions if you are worried about plugin latency. I run sessions between a Mac/HD rig and my PC/LE rig all the time. The only hitch I ever have is missing plugins(he has the Joe Meek stuff and I have some other stuff not on his HD rig). You may need to mess with the IO, depending on the LE interface and your needs. Worst case scenario, I have had to re-assign all the outputs and sends. Took all of 10 minutes.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 PM

Cute... Lol

What I meant was after opening an LE session, and re- setup the IO, I'm still not getting sound out of the HD setup. I figured I was not doing something, quite right. Maybe I'm not setting up the outputs correctly?
Opening an LE session isn't the problem it's getting sound out. Lol

Thanks!
-Chris
Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Cute... Lol

What I meant was after opening an LE session, and re- setup the IO, I'm still not getting sound out of the HD setup. I figured I was not doing something, quite right. Maybe I'm not setting up the outputs correctly?

Thanks!
-Chris
Gotta be a routing issue, or your I/O setup is fouled. Without seeing what you have it is hard to diagnose.
Are there submixes to auxes? Where do those lead? Are the proper tracks solo safed? In the I/O setup have you chosen the "right stuff"? ff
Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Cute... Lol

Thanks!
-Chris
I'm glad you got it !

Here's a more helpful answer that I received directly into my subconscious from Guru Prototoolsio himself...

1. Determine whether you need to maintain any panning settings or routing from the original session. If you don't, then de-assign all outputs and inputs and busses. Set them to "none".

2. Go to I/O Setup and option+click on all paths and delete them. This applies to Inputs/Outputs/Busses/Inserts. They should all be blank.

3. Either hit "Default I/O Setup" or import an I/O Setup that the HD System owner has configured previously for their hardware.

4. Hit OK, go back into your session and start configuring assignments.

If you do need to maintain some of the pan and routing settings, then go straight into I/O Setup, hit Default and choose to maintain existing paths. You will then need to disable/enable overlapping paths (checkboxes) from the previous LE session to the new paths created for the HD hardware.

Once you have tested back in the session that all is ok, you can delete the original paths in I/O Setup.

If both systems were running v8.1 this would have been much easier, as it has a new virtual hardware mapping protocol.

If it's still not working after this, you need to determine if anything is working on this system. Open a session that was created on that system. Ask questions, eg. Is it externally wordclocked from a discrete master clock that needs to be set to the correct sample rate? etc etc.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys!
Really appreciate the guidance here!
I figured since I had so many things bussed out here and there, the plumbing was getting screwed up somewhere down the line.
The LE system was running 8.3. The HD 8.1.
How does the virtual mapping work?

Thanks again!
-Chris
Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 PM

Also keep in mind that when you go into the I/O setup, it will be the setup for the old interface. You then delete all busses, and import defaults, or whatever setup you may have saved as a preset.

When you delete the audio paths, whatever track that was assigned to that path will revert to "no output selected". They don't automatically go to the new path. You then have to go and option+click hold and select the new analog 1-2 output, or whatever.

Catch my drift?
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
The LE system was running 8.3. The HD 8.1.
How does the virtual mapping work?
The LE cannot have been 8.3. It does not exist. Probably 8.0.3

The new I/O system (introduced in v8.1) essentially maps track outputs to virtual hardware, that is then translated by whatever system you are on to the current physical hardware. This makes it much easier to move sessions between systems.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v81_67827.pdf

Don't forget to face East when you read it.