Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Default FIX FOR: Firewire Audio Devices X99 motherboards

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX THIS LONG STANDING PROBLEM

I was using an MBOX 3 PRO for years, but when I installed a new motherboard X99 the firewire card was not working causing loss of audio and BSOD, I then bought a SIG 2 and same result. I then invested in a Foccusrite 18i20 2nd gen and although it is a good audio device when you move from firewire to USB 2 you can tell the difference plus the CPU hit, so without me babbling on further, here is how I fixed it today...

I decided to revisit the problem as more and more users are posting that firewire is not compatible with X99 motherboards fully, it is a lottery draw.

Place your Texas Instrument card into the PCIE 16 slot as you would a graphics card (not the 8 slot as this is the problem)
Install the latest MBOX 3 PRO driver
Ensure you are not using the LEGACY Firewire driver, this was the opposite on the previous motherboard, use the normal 1394 OHCI driver
This should now work, please post if it has worked for you whether you use an mbox or any other firewire device so other people do not waste money as I did in another audio device...

Cheers
Ryan

Last edited by risey; 01-12-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Re: FIX FOR: Firewire Audio Devices X99 motherboards

Interesting Good detective work too. I suspect that maybe it was an IRQ conflict and moving to a full-length slot is also using a different IRQ Does that mobo have a Thunderbolt option?(and if it DOES, I wonder if the apple Thunderbolt-firewire adapter would work)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Default Re: FIX FOR: Firewire Audio Devices X99 motherboards

Yes mate but its a Thuderbolt 3 (Gigabyte X99 SLI), so I would have needed an adapter from C to Thunder 2, then thunder 2 to fire wire. I agree it must have been the IRQ which I thought in 2016 would have been a thing in the past.
I also out of curiosity booted up a game to make sure there are no conflicts with the graphics cards (2 way SLI) as I remember one of my old ASUS boards would disable lanes if certain lanes were already in used by another card, but so far everything works fine....