Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-05-2019, 04:28 PM

Default MTRX SPQ Card and >Fs Sample Rates

Installed an SPQ card in my MTRX and running into an issue that all the documentation says shouldn't happen.

At any sample rate above 44.1kHz or 48kHz, if there's an active EQ filter on the monitor output, the channel signal is cut. Delays work fine but the impression is that the EQ filters won't work above 44.1k or 48k (where it is clearly stated that they do work for all MTRX PCM sample rates in the documentation.)

Anyone else experiencing this (or anyone with an SPQ card willing to do a quick test to confirm)? Just change the clock to 88.2 or 96 and see if the audio stops and then, while deactivating the eq filters, if it returns?

The minute I disable the active EQ points, the channel will return to passing signal. As far as I know, I have the latest firmwares (Btw, they snuck in a firmware and DADman update Nov 28 -- it'd be great if Avid would start notifying owners of these updates!)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:50 AM

Default Re: MTRX SPQ Card and >Fs Sample Rates

Hi Bscout,

The SPQ card does work at all sample rates up to 384 kHz. I have just tested it today with DADman v. 5.3.1 build 4 at 96 kHz so I suspect it's a configuration issue or sample rate mismatch.

It would help if you could provide the following information:

1. Which input (analog, MADI, etc.)do you use as source?
2. If you use a digital input, please check the actual sample rate of the incoming signal by looking in the routing matrix in DADman (see attached example screendump).
3. Is your source locked to the MTRX (i.e. green indication in the routing matrix)?
4. Which output (analog, Dante, etc.) do you use?
5. How do you set the sample rate of the MTRX? Manually (Internal) or follow a certain source (and if so, which source does it follow)?

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Input sample rate.JPG (37.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post
1. Which input (analog, MADI, etc.)do you use as source?
I use multiple (AES and PHD 1.) But I've tested with an AES only setup.
Quote:
2. If you use a digital input, please check the actual sample rate of the incoming signal by looking in the routing matrix in DADman (see attached example screendump).
Sample rates match (all green.) As I mentioned earlier, if the SPQ eq points are deactivated, the signal outputs fine.
Quote:
3. Is your source locked to the MTRX (i.e. green indication in the routing matrix)?
Yes. Locked.
Quote:
4. Which output (analog, Dante, etc.) do you use?
Output is DA (analogue)
Quote:
5. How do you set the sample rate of the MTRX? Manually (Internal) or follow a certain source (and if so, which source does it follow)?
Usually it is set to Adapt to ProTools 1 (and sync source set to internal.) Since that wasn't working, I've set it to Internal and adapt to Internal. That also isn't working for the 88.2 and greater.

Further info after communicating with Avid, the SPQ card is in Slot 8. I have tried a Restore to Default (at Avid's request) using the press button on the back of the unit. I have rebuilt the simplest "in to out" profile setup in DADman to remove any variables (removing any other outputs or sources and just keeping it to one each.) I have power cycled the MTRX with the hardware switch. I have tried the "restart" command from DADman. I have tried re-flashing the firmware (though it was already on the latest.)
Nothing has worked (though it works fine for 44.1k and 48k) -- if there's an active eq filter on any channel of a monitor output, that channel will cut the signal at the higher sample rates (and channels without eq on the same monitor output will continue to send signal.) As soon as I deactivate the eq filter, the channel will return to outputting signal.

DADman is 5.3.1 build 4.
The spec details of the hardware:
Old 01-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the info.

The routing matrix shows the actual sample rate of the incoming AES signal (shown as 44.1 in the example screendump I included in my first post). Could you please check that this sample rate matches the sample rate of the MTRX?
Old 01-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Thank you.

That was it.
The converter feeding the AES inputs (an RME unit) needed to be manually set to DS (double speed) to output to the MTRX's AES inputs 88.2 -- otherwise it was sending base Fs despite being clocked to the MTRX. Flipping those settings on the RME brought the SPQ filters back and the in-depth AES-EBU configuration showing 88.2 for those channels.

Any chance, like the warning of green dot flashing with yellow triangle, that DAD could do the same for these situations (mismatched clock though still functioning)? The top routing matrix showing the solid green dot would have indicated to me that all was fine -- so without your help I would have never looked at the in-depth matrix for the numbers running along the axis (especially since the per channel markers were also solid green in that matrix.)

Thanks again. I'll update my support ticket with Avid. Great to finally get this SPQ fully implemented now.