Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-27-2019, 04:23 PM

Default Using automation to select presets in Reverb

I have saved several presets in the Reverb effect. I would like to setup automation so that the desired preset is selected for different songs in the track. Is this possible?
Old 09-27-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Using automation to select presets in Reverb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Norman View Post
I have saved several presets in the Reverb effect. I would like to setup automation so that the desired preset is selected for different songs in the track. Is this possible?
I'm confused...."different SONGS in a TRACK"? What does this mean?

In any case, I would not do this because its very likely that the reverb tail would glitch or get cut off when changing presets. If that's not an issue in your case, I would insert multiple instances of the reverb plugin. Set them all in Bypass. Set each for the presets you need. Automate the bypass on each plugin so that only 1 is on at any given section. There are likely other options, but until I understand what the real goal is, I'll just hang out and see what you come back with

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-27-2019, 05:02 PM

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the quick response. We have a 1-hour performance consisting of performers playing various songs with each performer on a different track. We want to add different values (presets) of reverb for different songs. We will raise the reverb level at the beginning of a song and then decrease it to 0 at the end of the song. There is a pause between songs which would allow time to change presets without impacting the song with the previous preset.

Using your suggestion, I placed a Reverb using Preset 1 on Insert A of the reverb track and a second Reverb using Preset 2 on Insert B of the reverb track. I already have reverb input levels set for some of the songs and don't want to over write the levels if possible, but need to set the Bypass On select for each Reverb insert. How do I do that? I have watched some Youtube videos on the subject , but it is not clear to me (not getting much sleep last night may be a factor).

Thanks.
Jim
Old 09-28-2019, 04:21 AM

In addition to what Dave wrote there's this: you really don't want or need reverb on a whole song, just certain tracks in that song. Beyond the sheer mechanics of making your scheme work there's a whole artistic deal to think about. There's no engineer/recordist/artist who puts reverb on every piece on a cd.

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm confused...."different SONGS in a TRACK"? What does this mean?
My guess is he means songs in a session. Say you record a band live on a few tracks, kick/snare/bass/gits and so on and you want to mix it with a different reverb on a aux for each song. In wich case, he could use the bypass technique.

A better approach would perhaps be to split the session up and have a session for each song. It depends. If you want a "concert" feel to the mix you might want to keep it as a multi-song session.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:45 AM

Ben,

Your description is exactly what I am doing. The performance was recorded on 20 tracks, one for each instrument or voice. We are only applying reverb to specific instruments on specific songs in the session. The problem I am trying to address is that we find that we need to use different presets for an instrument during different songs. I am working with two music pros and this is their determination. I thought that I could use automation to change the one reverb preset as required for each reverbed instrument, but have not been able to figure out a way to do this. One suggestion was to use bypass and two inserts, but I could not get that to work.

I have now come up with a way which appears to work. For a track I want to use two (or more) different reverb presets depending on the song, I added a second send and sent it to a new reverb track. I used reverb with preset 1 (saved) on the existing reverb track and inserted a second reverb with preset 2 (saved) on the new reverb track. I then changed the view below the waveform track to show the volumes of both sends and selected the send I wanted to write reverb levels to. This solution may have been common knowledge to others, but I am still learning a lot about Pro Tools.

Thanks for all replies.

Jim
Old 09-28-2019, 11:10 AM

Please, if you haven't already, take a look at Pro Tools Reference Guide -- it has a whole chapter on Automation.

To be more specific, you want to search "plug-in automation". Perhaps all you need to automate is mix percentage to vary from song to song?

Also, pay attention to what was said about reverb tails. It might be so that two songs are close together and you need to add some extra space between them so the reverb tail is not cut abruptly. If your reverb preset RT60 time is 1.7sec for example, I would let the bounce go on about 3.5sec after the final hit just to not lose anything from the reverb. If it appears to be too long, it can be fade away later (but you cannot invent new reverb tail in mastering)
Old 09-28-2019, 05:56 PM

Janne,

Thank you for the information. I did look at the reference book for information on automation and there is a lot of information there. Some of it only applies to the Ultimate version of Pro Tools which I do not have. I must admit that I did not read every word on automation, but I did not find a way to automatically have it change presets in real time. I also searched the web and viewed several YouTube videos, but did not find the information I was looking for.

Since the reverb effect is inserted, I am assuming that whatever settings you have at the time you are playing back the video is what will apply if the reverb track is receiving a signal from the Send. In looking at the viewing selections below the waveform, it appears that for reverb, the choices are level and mute. I can see the Send level that I sent to the reverb track insert. Other than level, are there any other reverb parameters actually recorded when writing? If so, is there any way to see them?

Thanks.
Jim
Old 09-28-2019, 06:04 PM

Every reverb will have different automation parameters. And you have to enable them. And all that automation happens on the track the reverb plugin was inserted to (not the send bus.)
All automation parameters are writable. (and then readable during playback)

There's far too much to cover and it is all in the User Manual.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 PM

I don't think you can select plugin presets with automation. I'm still on PT10, so I don't know about newer versions.
That's why albee's suggestion of plugin bypass automation sounds wise.
And Janne's pointing to reading up on plugin parameter automation.