Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Default Getting desperate! "Unable to locate Avid hardware.." Have tried many suggestions.

I have recently purchased Pro Tools SE to record music for my daughter's upcoming wedding, which is in two weeks. I've been struggling with this issue for over 3 weeks now, thinking I could figure it out but have been unsuccessful. I'm not that savvy apparently.

The microphone works great. I've been able to record vocals and live mic my guitar. I am trying to connect a Kawai CP137 electronic piano through the USB out on the keyboard. I get the following message, which I've seen on this forum but haven't come across my exact situation: "Unable to locate avid hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on. Click OK when the hardware is ready." I am using the cable that came with my Pro Tools SE. I have three available USB ports on my laptop and have tried all of them. I believe I have the most current drivers for all devices (I downloaded a driver from the Kawai site as well), have tried all the suggestions I could find on this forum, have configured the computer to the best of my ability, and have tested the keyboard on other software programs i.e. Audacity, and can get a signal with those, but not with Pro Tools, which is so disappointing and frustrating! I've tried plugging everything in with all devices turned off as suggested, to no avail. About the only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling and reinstalling the software, but with the microphone working fine, didn't know if that was necessary.

Any assistance on what I can try next is appreciated. Thank you!

Gateway NV77H
Windows 7 Home Premium
Realtek High Definition Audio
Pro Tools SE, version 8.0.3a
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M
CPU 2.40GHz
380 available gigs on hard drive
3Ghz dual core processor
3.8 GB usable RAM
3 available USB ports
Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 PM

Smile Re: Getting desperate! "Unable to locate Avid hardware.." Have tried many suggestions

Hello,

I am a member also. I have not used a keyboard yet with my Pro Tools SE but I have used a mic & guitar connected to the interface that came with the PT SE. Mic goes on one input & guitar on the other. Its an M-Audio Mobile Pre interface. I believe SE also uses the M-Audio Fastrack Pro interface. Need to consult the specs. This is what your error message may be talking about if you are not using an interface or using an interface that is not compatible. You might try searching youtube.com for videos on recording with SE that might help.

Hope this helps,
Dcader10
Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Getting desperate! "Unable to locate Avid hardware.." Have tried many suggestions

Thanks for the reply. The bundle that I bought didn't come with an interface. It only contained the microphone and installation cd. The instructions I have say I can connect the keyboard directly to the computer using the provided USB cable, but I'm beginning to wonder, especially since the error says it can't locate "Avid" hardware. Makes me thing there's something missing! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll keep searching for an answer!

Gateway NV77H
Windows 7 Home Premium
CPU 2.40GHz
3Ghz dual core processor
3.8 GB usable RAM
3 available USB ports
Old 09-15-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Getting desperate! "Unable to locate Avid hardware.." Have tried many suggestions

Hello,

Forgot to mention that SE works with midi keyboards compatible with the software. With the midi keyboard you can play virtual instruments found in SE. For example, to play drums with the keyboard. Don't know if this helps.

Dcader10
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 AM

I am aware of that...thanks. That's what I'm trying to get to but the software doesn't seem to recognize the hardware I'm connecting which is a Kawai keyboard....and it says it can't locate Avid hardware and I just don't know what that means. Still trying to find the answer but there just doesn't seem to be obvious.

Gateway NV77H
Windows 7 Home Premium
CPU 2.40GHz
3Ghz dual core processor
3.8 GB usable RAM
3 available USB ports