Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, Profire 2626 Lag!!!!

Lately I have experienced lagging/ delay on all cylinders during recording. Whether its plugging in a guitar direct into my 2626 and then using Pod Farm, or using the actual Pod and then directing that into my interface. Today while recording a girls vocals, I had to mute her from hearing herself because the lag was so bad :/ It's very difficult to record anything with this lagging issue. It's only a fraction of a second but its much more work and stress than I need. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO FIX THIS????? P.S. adjusting my buffer size ect... has done nothing. I don't have lag when hitting the play button or record button its only when something is plugged in (aside from drums for some reason). Mainly guitars (electric) and Vocals.

Another issue i've had is my comp. usage being low... i dont understand how that can be possible with the computer i have (Dell Studio i7, 8 gigs Ram ect... windows 7)

Help would be much appreciated :) Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, Profire 2626 Lag!!!!

I've posted this before, but it works for me with the M-Audio FW410:

I do this:

You should monitor through the M-Audio mixer and mute the tracks you are recording to in Pro Tools. There will be no (or near-zero) latency there on the M-Audio mixer. This is the workaround for the M-Audio setup with Pro Tools. It will record in sync with the rest of your session.

I create 'Tracking Tracks' that are muted and set up with the correct i/o, then move things down to other tracks when we get a good take. If you need to punch a section, edit out the part on the keeper tracks and record over on your Tracking Track then edit together.
M-Audio Firewire 410 via Digi-Qualified SIIG FireWire 2-Port ExpressCard {NN-EC2012-S1}
Glyph 050Q 500GB via eSATA
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, Profire 2626 Lag!!!!

Thanks for the help, the only problem with muting the tracks is expecially with the vocal tracking is that the mic is still delayed. So i have to slip every single take into its proper spot :/ Example: a scream says one line the whole take (not each word) is off by like a 32nd not sometimes and sometimes more... Usually when i'm plugged in to my Pod UX1 and then use an cord to output them to the profire i don't have lag, but its hit or miss unfortunately. I'm gonna try and update the driver cause when i first bought everything and got the new computer it wasn't compatible with windows 7. It's just such a hassle trying to record like this. Its just extra time that doesnt need to be spent :/ latency is a bitch ha