Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-29-2017, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Avid Core Audio with HDX/HD Native on Yosemite/later Mac OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu-tron-kid View Post
HD Driver 12.7.1 finally fixes this issue!
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/f...e-Audio-on-Mac

One MAJOR drag with AVID's solution is that it is "either / or" as to which software is accessing the HDX Cards: If you are running Izotope RX Spectral Repair as Audiosuite, RX cannot use the HDX Hardware to output the audio you are working on!
This is the same disastrous workflow issue that existed before.
Bummer..... must be an HDX issue Izotope RX works fine with HDNative PCIe cards ?????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 AM

Finally! I was just about to go buy an optical cable because I needed to use Logic. Tried Source Nexus, but its to involved. Now it works with Logic, and all system audio it seems. My iZoptope RX works fine on my HD native card, have not tried in my HDX system yet.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 AM

Let's see if I got this right. I've installed the new HD driver on a HD Native system running PT 12.5.2 and a HDX system running PT 12.7.1. On the HD Native system, I'm able to use the HDN engine from other apps while PT is running. On the HDX system, PT seems to hijack the HDX engine once PT starts. From what I can read in the release notes, this is the way it is supposed to work. But really? This leaves the HDX system running PT 12.7.1 just as useless regarding Core Audio as it was before. If I understand things right, I can downgrade the HDX system to PT 12.5 in order to use Core Audio the way it is supposed to, but then I can't use the DSP on the HDX card.

Am I missing something here?

Stein Tore
Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 AM

This is correct, except, the only change on the HDX systems is that core audio can now access the HDX hardware when Pro Tools is NOT open.
PT 11 - 12.5 HD Drivers were not available to core audio at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Pro, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HDX, 2xAlphalink,1xDeltaLink,
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
VENUE SC48 3.2 with iPad Control
SSL Duality
SSL Duality via ipMIDI / ∂elta Automation Plug-In
Old 04-11-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
Let's see if I got this right. I've installed the new HD driver on a HD Native system running PT 12.5.2 and a HDX system running PT 12.7.1. On the HD Native system, I'm able to use the HDN engine from other apps while PT is running. On the HDX system, PT seems to hijack the HDX engine once PT starts. From what I can read in the release notes, this is the way it is supposed to work. But really? This leaves the HDX system running PT 12.7.1 just as useless regarding Core Audio as it was before. If I understand things right, I can downgrade the HDX system to PT 12.5 in order to use Core Audio the way it is supposed to, but then I can't use the DSP on the HDX card.

Am I missing something here?

Stein Tore
To clarify the only two apps I can use on my HDN system while Pro Tools is running are Izotope RX using the configuration available specifically for pro tools within that app.. Or with Reason slaved (via Rewire) to Pro tools... Any other App running independently like iTunes, YouTube , SoundCloud, or Final Cut Pro X.... I first have to quit Pro tools for them to work..

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-11-2017, 12:34 PM

Pro Tools 12.5.2 HDN does work with Pro Tools, Web Audio, iTunes, etc. all playing out the hardware (HD Omni) at the same time.

I believe 12.6+ "breaks" this functionality, as noted in the 12.7.1 HD Driver Read Me.
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
SSL Duality
Old 04-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu-tron-kid View Post
Pro Tools 12.5.2 HDN does work with Pro Tools, Web Audio, iTunes, etc. all playing out the hardware (HD Omni) at the same time.

I believe 12.6+ "breaks" this functionality, as noted in the 12.7.1 HD Driver Read Me.
humm? where are you getting this info. here are the Read Me's on Core Audio for 12.5.2

"Known Issues with CoreAudio Hardware Drivers

Limitations of the Avid CoreAudio driver with CoreAudio Manager
Pro Tools HD and Pro Tools with 003 systems require exclusive access to Pro Tools hardware.You cannot use CoreAudio applications and Pro Tools with these systems at the same time. To use Pro Tools, make sure you quit any CoreAudio applications before launching Pro Tools on these systems. To use a CoreAudio application with these systems, make sure you quit Pro Tools before starting the
CoreAudio application.
"

What appears to have changed with 12. 7.1 is this :

Known Issues with CoreAudio Hardware Drivers

Limitations of the Avid CoreAudio Driver
When using Pro Tools HD software with HDX or HD Native hardware, Pro Tools HD software requires exclusive access to the hardware.
Consequently, you cannot use CoreAudio applications and Pro Tools HD software at the same time on these systems.The Avid
CoreAudio Driver and the operating system handle transitioning between applications automatically, so there is no need to quit all
CoreAudio applications before launching Pro Tools HD as with previous versions of this driver.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 04-11-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
To clarify the only two apps I can use on my HDN system while Pro Tools is running are Izotope RX using the configuration available specifically for pro tools within that app.. Or with Reason slaved (via Rewire) to Pro tools... Any other App running independently like iTunes, YouTube , SoundCloud, or Final Cut Pro X.... I first have to quit Pro tools for them to work..
That is the way it should be!!!

Pro tools is not a multi client driver... Period!

Now you can use it as I/o with Coreaudio, no access to DSP,etc...

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro

Last edited by Marco Bernardo; 04-11-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Avid Core Audio with HDX/HD Native on Yosemite/later Mac OS

Re-Read my original update post, approx 6 posts above yours.
The "read me" for HD Driver 12.7.1 has a specific mention to the "audio server" style approach for lower versions. This is a trade off of not being able to use DSP plug-ins with HDX systems, but a bonus for HDN users, like yourself, that have PT 12.5.2 installed.
Yes, JUST update the HD Driver to 12.7.1. NOT your PT HD version:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/f...e-Audio-on-Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SSL Duality
Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Bernardo View Post
That is the way it should be!!!

Pro tools is not a multi client driver... Period!

Now you can use it as I/o with Coreaudio, no access to DSP,etc...
Why is that the way it should be? I for one would like to use Spotify, SoundMiner and Pro Tools at the same time using the Omni HD output. As I can do now with PT HDN 12.5.2 and the new HD 12.7.1 driver, but not with Pro Tools 12.7 and HD 12.7.1 driver on my HDX system.

BTW, Avid lists this under "Known issues". Things defined as an issue implies a fix sometimes in the future, doesn't it?

Stein Tore