How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Wanting to get Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedogs View Post
p.s. still haven't gotten an answer to my questions - so I posted in a few other forums.

Pro Tools Express comes with Eleven Free which is a severely limited version of Eleven (RTAS) it only has like 2 amps and 1 or 2 mics and 2 cabs i think.

You can buy Eleven RTAS/AAX. It is $395 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElevenLE/

Though you can usually find licenses cheaper if you buy from eBay, but since you don't, you could try classifieds on Audio forums, just be certain what you are getting is what you want. Also Eleven requires an iLok, so you will need one and an iLok account in order to authorize the plugin and use it. The new v2 iLoks are around $40 if you don't have one.

Keep in mind that Eleven RTAS/AAX/TDM do NOT contain any effects nor does it contain any of the amps from the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack (for the Eleven Rack obviously)

I know you dont want to hear this, but if you have the money and the will, you would be MUCH better off to get an Eleven Rack. NEW 11R's are around $699. They include Pro Tools 10, the full version, a new iLok v2, and the ERXP is included. The Eleven Rack will handle ALL of the processing for the amp modeling which reduces the load on the computer when compared to using a software based amp sim. I have the 11R and Eleven software, but I never use Eleven software any more because the Eleven Rack has so many more options.

You can actually get a new Eleven Rack for under $600. B&H audio have the Eleven Rack for $639. There several online music stores that BEAT any price, not just match the price, but beat it by 10-15%. You could go to Music123.com and request a quote for an Eleven Rack, provide the link for the BH 11R page, and they will beat the price. The quote should be around the mid to high $500s

Its just an idea. Hell, you could sell the PT10 license for $250-$400 alone to a person who does not have an upgrade path and wants to buy Pro Tools 10.

Pro Tools Express is a severely limited version of Pro Tools that will not give you the modern Pro Tools experience - IMHO.

If you want to see the requirements for the Mbox Mini and PT Express, and compare it to other versions of PT; head over at the Avid website.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/mbox...emrequirements

http://www.avid.com/Common/products/...ols-comparison

If you have a room full of guitars, nothing will fit you better than an Eleven Rack when compared to the other consumer Avid interfaces. Each guitar will have a sound of its own, and the feel of playing through a unit like the Eleven Rack, AxeFX, Kemper, or even PodHD ect... is so much better than playing through software, again, IMHO.

But if you just want a Mbox Mini, hey, thats great - go for it. You know what you need more than we do. We just want to make sure you are thoroughly informed on other options that may be of interest to you based on your posts. We don't want you to buy a product and then later find out about some amazing deals on other interfaces and then feel like you got ripped off. Thats the only reason I and everyone else had other suggestions for you, it just information, you can decide what you do with it.

I don't use Mac's or Bootcamp (obviously) but you can install Pro Tools on as many computers as you want. For Express, you will need to have the iLok plugged in to open Pro Tools (and the iLok drivers need to be installed as well of course) I've done dual boots before and have not had any problems, I install PT on all my PC's and just move the iLok when I want to use PT on any particular computer. So as long as you can install the drivers, it should not be a problem.

As far as I know, PT Express is not compatible with any interface other than the 3rd gen Mbox's. So you would not be able to use your other interfaces with Pro Tools Express. If this is wrong, someone correct me.

So that should answer all your questions.

Have a great day. And just check out the Eleven Rack, its a pretty cool device.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-11-2013, 03:43 AM

Hello strangedogs,

Quote:
If I get a Mini can I install it on both OS X and my Windows partition too? Will the Ilok allow it? Or do I have to pick just 1 OS? also does any version of ELEVEN (plug-in) come with Express - if not can I buy it?
Though I've never tried it (haven't been on Windows for a long time), I assume there would be no problem installing it on both and use the same iLok.

As already mentioned, there's a severely crippled version of Eleven.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 AM

strangedogs:
If you want to try out PT10 why not download the 30 day free trial? Assuming you have an iLok 30 days should be long enough to give it a whirl and see if it fits what you want to do. You say you have other daws and at least one of those - Sonar - ain't cheap. You've put money into those so if you decide you want Pro Tools after the 30 day trial might be worth it as well. As an ex-Sonar 8.3.1 user you will find PT a breath of fresh air, particularly if you're coming from the disaster that is Sonar X1/X2.

QAPLA!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Strangedogs,

If we haven't scared you away, I wanted to mention that if you get a new Mbox Mini right now, there is a special offer to get the full Eleven plugin free when you register it. That may be the best value if you want to save money.

But I concur with Benoni, that the Eleven Rack would be the ideal product for you (and it also has the Eleven plugin offer, besides the great sounds in the unit itself).
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Strangedogs,

If we haven't scared you away, I wanted to mention that if you get a new Mbox Mini right now, there is a special offer to get the full Eleven plugin free when you register it. That may be the best value if you want to save money.

But I concur with Benoni, that the Eleven Rack would be the ideal product for you (and it also has the Eleven plugin offer, besides the great sounds in the unit itself).

wow - where did you get the Eleven plugin info from? I'd love the full rack but I'm too broke right now. Yeah - Sonar X2 is really a bit buggy at times. I love Logic Studio 9 on my Mac side.

EDIT: I see where B&H has the full Rack w/PT10 for $639... hmmm - maybe I can swing it - I'll know by MON or TUES.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
wow - where did you get the Eleven plugin info from? I'd love the full rack but I'm too broke right now. Yeah - Sonar X2 is really a bit buggy at times. I love Logic Studio 9 on my Mac side.

EDIT: I see where B&H has the full Rack w/PT10 for $639... hmmm - maybe I can swing it - I'll know by MON or TUES.
Go for it from B&H - they're good people. That's where I got my 11R/PT 10 combo. It comes with the 11R, a dongle, and a card the size of a credit card with the serial number for PT 10 which you'll have to download yourself from Avid. The dongle does NOT have the authorization for PT on it - you have to get that from iLok after you register PT10. There's also a separate registration card for the 11R which is yellow IIRC. But be aware that their website goes down for the Jewish Sabbath. You can still browse the site but you can't place any orders.

QAPLA!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM

I'm going for it!!!! Ya'll talked me into it. :)

I'm 61 now - been RAWKIN for 45 years now and still wanna RAWK. All I've heard for all those years is TURN IT DOWN! After hearing the samples of the Eleven system I know I'm gonna have a ball before it's over...

Thanks to everyone for the good advice and hope I didn't irritate anyone too bad. Especially albee1952...

p.s.

Here I am (just took it in my bathroom with no flash so pardon the quality):

Strangedogs @ 61 - "what's left of him" and a GREAT Grandfather too boot!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 PM

The Eleven Rack will also qualify for the free Eleven plugin offer. It's handy to have that even if you have the hardware.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM

Welcome to the DUC strangedogs!

The special offers page has details on some of what's been discussed in this thread. Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:59 PM

From one old dog to another, thanks for that

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave