Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Default xPost: Need GREAT / Specific Steam Train Sample

DIGI, I posted this in the "General Forum", and it was pointed out to me that THIS forum, would be a better fit for my post, and likely yield a better response. Sorry for the Cross Posting, please remove my Other Post from the Genera Foruml

I need to purchase / License / Commission (In the next day or so), a VERY High quality, Steam Engine / Train Chug that's rhythmic 1/8th notes between 125 - 135 BPM (I'll time stretch / Quantize to be 133)

I've spent days and nights, pots of coffee, listening through sample libraries, Sample sites, trying to put a sequence together, where in the breakdown of a song, the Mechanical sounds of a Train, take place of the Drum Kit.

I've got an Isolated Bell sample from a Library I purchased, that works well as a dotted quarter figure, and I emulate the doppler effect by Linearly lowering it's pitch as I pan from Left to right. And a Big Freight train Horn that will blow / transition back into the band.

As far as the Main Steam Engine goes. I really need something as fidellic / Clear / produced / isolated as the sounds at the front of Pink Floyd's "money", or the Machine sounds used in the music for the Bjork movie "Dancer In the Dark"

Everything I have tried, Found, Auditioned, is too "Low Fi", Mono Phasey, Noisy (Background, other noises, and ambient) to really pull this off.

If I do this, it has to be "Spielberg Epic" in production land, I'm not going to do it if it sounds low budget, I really want the track to feel like you just jumped on a Chugging Train, otherwise, I'm not doing it.

The vision is so clear, I feel like I'm one sample away from pulling the whole idea off.

This is the closest thing I've found as a reference - the recordings are too ambient. I wonder if i need something thats actually Synthesized.

http://www.steamsounds.org.uk/recordings1.html

Any thoughts out there?

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Default Re: xPost: Need GREAT / Specific Steam Train Sample

have you listen to Tim's stuff?
http://hissandaroar.com/sd005-pressure/

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM

Default Re: xPost: Need GREAT / Specific Steam Train Sample

Hi Craig, thanks for the ref. I bought the Pressure Library, and Tim found a few extras, and has been very helpful. I think I'm well on my way to pulling this off.
We'll see tomorrow.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App