Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 11-20-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Studios charging outrageous rates for Digidelivery

Just wondering if other folks have encountered studios charging enormous fees for using Digidelivery? Rates I've run into are something like $200/hour for a transfer. Does this seem outrageous to anyone else?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Studios charging outrageous rates for Digidelivery

Wow!
I guess I should start charging for it.

If it's an outside service I would charge for it but I usually just benefit from making the service available.
Maybe I'm just into making friends.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Studios charging outrageous rates for Digideli

No, please don't start charging! I agree that it should just be a service that you can offer your clients for their convenience. I think in my case the studios we're working with know that we're a big corporation and they are trying to gouge us.. So, we end up not using Digidelivery and wait for the Fedex instead - ridiculous!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:15 PM

I charge $100/session fee for the Digidelivery, but I often waive that for clients who are paying lower cut rates. The fact is, for an intense post project, the money spent on my Digidelivery is more than saved on the other end. And not on just Fed Ex or messenger services, but the convenience of the Digidelivery saves my clients time. They often drop files on the DD and let me get started while they work on other things back at the office, etc. I can start a project at 2, finish by 5, drop it back to the client at their office, and have it go to air at 6.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
No, please don't start charging! I agree that it should just be a service that you can offer your clients for their convenience. I think in my case the studios we're working with know that we're a big corporation and they are trying to gouge us.. So, we end up not using Digidelivery and wait for the Fedex instead - ridiculous!
Speaking of ridiculous, do you realize how much we've all spent to buy and install these servers? And it's not free to keep the server up and running when you look at higher speed internet access, static IP leasing and employee time spent managing deliveries and keeping the system happy. And consider that these deliveries often happen at the end of the day, meaning that the studio may have to pay someone overtime for the extra time that they spend on your delivery.

Are studios trying to gouge you when they charge extra for ISDN connections? It would be cheaper for you to direct talent on the phone and wait for Fedex. Or are they gouging you when they charge to use their rooms in the first place? It would be cheaper to rent a ProTools rig and hire a freelancer to do the mix in your office.

We're investing a lot of time and money for your convenience, and you should be willing to pay for that convenience.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 AM

We charge fees for ftp deliveries, but it's small flat charge and not by the hour. Although we are not using
digidelivery, I think any studio should charge an appropriate fee for a service. It does take equipment and man hours to deal with. I do consider 200/hr gouging though.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:46 PM

Free here.

Simply an essential part of a 21st Century workflow.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Sorry, I was in a cranky mood when I posted that and I shouldn't have taken it out on DChung. Rather than editing it, I'll clarify my thinking here:

We don't charge for DigiDelivery either, but in our situation we have the server for OUR convenience (i.e. so we can live in New Mexico), and in a situation where we're using the server for a CLIENT's convenience I think it's totally appropriate to charge for that use. Especially if it's the end of the day and an employee has to be paid overtime to upload to the server. I agree that $200/hour is a bit steep. I wouldn't call it gouging because it's not as though that's the only way a client can get their materials delivered, but I think it's a bad move on the studio's part: they'll get more in the long run from a price closer to FedEx costs because more clients will use the service. For the time being, clients can (and obviously do) choose other options. If enough clients make that decision then the studio may lower the rate or offer a lower rate to some of their clients.

So I apologize for any offense my previous post caused, especially to DChung. I agree that $200/hour is a steep price, and I'd encourage you to continue to explore other options until they see the light. If you want to use DigiDelivery but don't want to pay $200/hour I think you could probably find some more reasonable prices from users on this forum for delivery only that you could do from your laptop or office.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:39 PM

Maybe a bit off topic, but related.

I would like to purchase the GT series to allow for integration of multiple "project" studios that colaborate regularly to complete projects. We require the GT series to allow for mulitple accounts as LT only allows for one account.

The $10,000.00 price tag, for us, is steep for pure "convenience". I was thinking of offsetting the cost by "renting" space and accounts. Maybe 10-15 accounts, providing 20 gigs each, which would still allow a considerable amount of storage for the original purpose of the purchase. 10 accounts, $50-$100 a month? Is this a crazy thought?

I would be interested to hear from those already using the system as to what "holes" might be in my thought process, other than the obvious bandwidth bottleneck of a bunch of people hammering at the system at the same time.

Ross
Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 PM

I don't charge extra for Digidelivery if it's for a project being done at my facility. In today's world it's part of the cost of doing business. Does your carpenter charge you extra for use of his saws?

I did raise my rates slightly after purchasing it and it's more than paid for itself in bringing in new clients that love the convenience.
It saves both of us a considerable amount of time and money compared to offsite FTP, FedEx or courier.

If someone comes to me with a project they want Digidelivered to someone else, then I'll charge them a studio rate. Other than that, it's a perc that we offer clients for bringing us their business.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX