Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Can I put old internal drives in a new Mac...?

Hi,
So, I'm running a Mix3 on an old G4 / 933. Things are getting flaky (as described in excruciating detail in another post...) I was going to get 3 more 512 Gig RAM chips, but then I started thinking why not just upgrade to a used Mac, the fastest, best Mac that can run the Mix cards. I was going to get an MDD maybe dual 1.25 or dual 1.42, which would ironically not cost that much more than 2 Gig of RAM.
My question is - I have two internal drives. One is formatted for OS 9.2.2. with Waves 3.0 and other challenge/response or serial# authorized plugs. The other drive is OS 10.3.9, with plugs all authorized off iLok, except Waves, which I think used both iLok and challenge/response to authorize. What I'm wondering is -- if I just swap these drives into a new Mac, will they work? Will all the authorizations work? Or does the authorization process get tied into the hardware of Mac itself, beyond just the drive? I wouldn't want to go through all the money and rigamarole and have it not work.
Thanks a lot - Steve
Old 09-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Can I put old internal drives in a new Mac...?

first MDD 1.42 FW800 model will not boot into OS9 at all
challenge/responce uses the MB's s/n so they would need to be reauthorized some companies are easy about this some aren't check first.

hope that helps

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig