Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 Trial : full version?

Hi,
I own a licence (with iLok) for PT9 and now I am downloading PT10 trial.

I assume that I am eligible to purchase just an upgrade at $300. But if I decide to do so, do I need to uninstall the trial version, or is it exactely the same and once I purchase the upgrade license, I just have to activate it at iLok and be up and running without further installation (except updates that will eventually come, of course).

And about this trial, as it comes in 2 files (program and one more for sounds and bundled plug-ins), do I need to install separately or I just unzip both folders in a temp folder and launch installation?

A last one (for now...) : can PT9 and PT10 co-exist (installed in different folders I'd guess) on a same system? (Windows 7)

Thanks
Rob
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Trial : full version?

I belive the trial version is the full version but with a time limited ilok license.

And no you can't have multiple versions of protools on one machine unless you have separate boot partitions.

In the instructions for the trial I'm pretty sure they recommend you take a system image backup before installing PT10, that way it will only take you half an hour to revertsafely and cleanly if PT10 doesn't work out for you.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 AM

On an alternative note Ableton Live allows different versions to exist on the same computer and actually RUN AT THE SAME time on the same computer.
The other day I ran 8.2.6 and 8.2.2 side by side on the same computer, and with a couple of settings adjustments the worked quite will together. Made my head dizzy thinking of the possibilities..

But no you can't have 2 versions of Pro Tools on the same computer. The driver conflict will melt the CPU
Old 12-20-2011, 12:18 PM

So does Sonar...

But my other question: if i decide to keep pt 10 after trial do i simply chsnge the key on iLok site after paying the upgrade, or i need to uninstall pt10?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstrad View Post
So does Sonar...

But my other question: if i decide to keep pt 10 after trial do i simply chsnge the key on iLok site after paying the upgrade, or i need to uninstall pt10?
Most likely you'll have to download the new license that will be provided to your ilok account.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-21-2011, 03:24 AM

When I got my proper HD10 licence it overwrote the trial licence on my iLok. I didn't have to uninstall or reinstall any software on my Mac. The trial version seems to be the full installer.

edit: The trial licence has been que'ed not deleted
Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
On an alternative note Ableton Live allows different versions to exist on the same computer and actually RUN AT THE SAME time on the same computer.
The other day I ran 8.2.6 and 8.2.2 side by side on the same computer, and with a couple of settings adjustments the worked quite will together. Made my head dizzy thinking of the possibilities..

But no you can't have 2 versions of Pro Tools on the same computer. The driver conflict will melt the CPU
Who cares about Ableton on a PT board?

QAPLA!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 AM

I*m a bit confused about this trial -> full version change.

I've got 8.05 (well actually 8.01 if I recall correctly) which I came also when I bought a used Mbox 2. If I remember corretly I wasn't able to register PT Le 8 for myself. At least it doesn't show in my avic-account.

Now. I've tested Pro Tools 10 for a while and I'm very much thinking of buying the full version.

Now the downloadable version is good enough for me, but I will be purchasing the backup disc too.

Can anyone tell me how much this full version will cost me?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 AM

Not sure but i'd suggest you go through avid by phone to ask, and buy online. Don't buy box in store: if you ever need updates in full versions you might be trapped like many of us who - despite having registered, received acknowledgement by email, and being legal all the way, not existing in avid account - account is there but with no product in there....
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstrad View Post
Not sure but i'd suggest you go through avid by phone to ask, and buy online. Don't buy box in store: if you ever need updates in full versions you might be trapped like many of us who - despite having registered, received acknowledgement by email, and being legal all the way, not existing in avid account - account is there but with no product in there....
Thanks for the warning.