Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Need Help connecting Yamaha Motif ES7

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I don't think the USB port on the Motif carries midi. I run mine thru an M-Audio UNO midi-USB adapter and it works great in PT.
Not sure what you mean, Albee. I have my Motif XS8 connected via USB to my PC for midi and it works just fine with PT.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexablcknesekid View Post
well as of right now i have my motif connected to my mac book pro via A/B USB cable which what the yamaha rep that i spoke to told me that since i have it connected that way it would only work as a controller but i could not be able to use the pre-set sounds from the keyboard unless i got R/L audio output cables and connected them from the motif to my mbox 2 pro then i would be able to record the pre-set sounds
Yes that is correct...the USB connection can not be used to transfer any audio output from the Motif to PT. The only way you can do that (at least with the Motif XS) is via a firewire connection, but not with Pro Tools...you can with Cubase, Sonar and Logic Pro (I think).

Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Pretty sure the ES version used the USB connection for using the Yamaha editing software that comes with it. I don't own the XS version so it may be different(and likely better as Yamaha usually makes improvements with every new step).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure the ES version used the USB connection for using the Yamaha editing software that comes with it. I don't own the XS version so it may be different(and likely better as Yamaha usually makes improvements with every new step).
Ah...never knew that as I've only ever used the XS of the Motif series. If that's the case, then you're correct in your prior post.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM

I'm a bit jealous as the XS version is KILLER!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Ah...never knew that as I've only ever used the XS of the Motif series. If that's the case, then you're correct in your prior post.
Quote:
I'm a bit jealous as the XS version is KILLER!
well i got it working thanks anyways donald i just need to buy those cables but for some reason im having a hard time finding some on musicansfriend & zzsounds so if you guys could help me look for some good L/R audio output cables i would really appreciate it

but albee in my opinion the ES series is WAYYYYY better when talking about pre-set sounds but thats just me donald might have another opinion
Old 02-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
well i got it working thanks anyways donald i just need to buy those cables but for some reason im having a hard time finding some on musicansfriend & zzsounds so if you guys could help me look for some good L/R audio output cables i would really appreciate it

but albee in my opinion the ES series is WAYYYYY better when talking about pre-set sounds but thats just me donald might have another opinion
I've never been able to compare the 2, but I am completely happy with the es8, and almost any keyboard player likes the action and its a very familiar KB for most players.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Presets? what are those?

On a more serious note...I've never done this, but, apparently you can import ES voices into the XS. There's also sorts of discussion and explanation on this on the Motifator forum. As i said, I haven't spent any time with the ES, so really can't speak to how the features/sounds etc compare. However, I can say the XS is tough to beat as a workstation/sampler/synth. The sounds are amazing, there's ample libraries that can be purchased. More importantly, though, is how simple it is to program, edit and create one's own sounds! That's what I do anyway. I don't think I've ever used an unedited pre-set..even if all I did was change a setting on the reverb or something. And that's true on every synth I've ever owned....including my VI's! I edit everything...always...before I use it. So, pre-sets don't mean a whole lot to me other than as examples.

That's why I get so frustrated when I see the XS on stage and all I hear is the the basic Grand Piano Pre-1 A-1. Like there's nothing else on there!!!