Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2009, 02:37 AM

Default New Firewire External HD

For several months I used my system drive for recording to. I know this is not recommended but I did and luckily I didnt have too many issues. Recently I purchased a new OWC Firewire 400 external HD. I formatted it for Windows and it all seemed fine and easy. I copied 50G worth of pro tools files across to my new external audio drive. I know I will have to change PT prefs so it writes to the new volume but I used it for recording yet.

My first question is: has anyone else done something similar like this before and come across any problems? eg i copied over a folder which holds all my session data for several tunes but is thre any other folders that i will need to bring across such as 'digidesign databases'?

Secondly, when I try to 'safely remove hardware' from the system tray it tells me the generic volume is busy. This happens when I have all programmes closed and have finished writing or accessing the audio drive. This is probably a Windows problem but if anyone has come across this and found a solution then it would be handy. I use xp SP2 and have the external connected by FW400.

Thanks in advance for any responces..