Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Default 9.0.6 losing Mbox Pro communication

So since I went from 9.0.5 to 9.0.6, my Mbox Pro continually loses communication with the computer on relaunching of Protools at random times. Sometimes it comes up, sometimes not. I have to keep unplugging and replugging the firewire and then reselecting Mbox 2 in the playback engine dropdown. I also keep having the hard drive that is connected to the mbox unmount itself (device removal). (Yes, I know the chain order is wrong and the mbox should be at the end, but this system has worked flawlessly until the recent upgrade) ALSO, I am now having tons of -8068 buffer underflow errors and my buffer is as high as it can be, 1024, CPU at 85%, 2 processors, level 2 on the other buffers. I'm on an Imac 2.16Ghz, 4 GB Ram, OSX 10.6.8. Like I said, this setup was working flawlessly until the upgrade....
Either that, or the other culprit could be a brand new GTech drive out of the box that I think is bunk and acted weird since I plugged it in. Trouble mounting from the start, couldn't copy from it after the initial copy I made to it, and now on another laptop, I can't even reformat it with disk utility....so that is back in the box and not going near the Imac. Could it have fried my firewire bus?
The Gtech and upgrade were right around the same time, but I can't remember if I ran any sessions on 9.0.6 before the drive issue.

Any help? This is killing my workflow and I have a film with a deadline.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Re: 9.0.6 losing Mbox Pro communication

Make sure you have the latest driver. That was a huge drawback for me. I updated my driver and everything went back to normal.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Just an update for anyone with similar issues....my Firmware and drivers have been up to date. I've narrowed it down to a firewire port, drive or Imac issue. I was using an older Glyph firewire drive possibly with a bad interface, that since I removed and started working off a different drive, this issue has stopped happening to the degree that it was.... I still occasionally get the usual old device underflow, where I have to unplug/replug the Mbox, but this is usually after some inactivity or sleep from the computer. The disk unmounting issue has stopped with removal of that Glyph (even though that drive was on the other firewire port from the Mbox). An issue I have also noticed, that my Imac won't boot up with any firewire drives connected and actually powered up before the computer. It gets to the grey boot screen, but no apple logo, and it stays there until I power down. I have to wait for it to boot, then power up the drives. Most likely time for a new Imac, but I've at least found a workaround to the work stoppage.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Not to hijack your thread but I just updated to 9.06 yesterday and, like you, have an iMac and an older glyph FW drive 050. My issue was that when I went to open up my session, my audio files were completely unaligned -- vox starting at bar 4, drums at 2, etc. In fact, it wasn't even playing one of my guit tracks even though the meter was moving and the .wav file appeared in my scroll edit window. Really stumped and really bummed because I was at the point of beginning to mix it. And I would hate to have to retrack.

Any ideas or troubleshooting would be welcome.
Wheels
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Er, sorry. I've got an M-Audio Firewire 2626 and I'm running Snow Leopard 10.68.
Wheels
Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM

I have an Mbox 2 using Por Tools LE 9.0.6. I've installed the assumed correct drivers: Mbox_Drivers_v1021_72731.dmg.

This is not working. My Mbox 2 is not lighting up. I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.8. This same set-up work previously on my IMac running Snow Leopard 10.0. I recently upgraded to a Mac Pro and once again, all of a sudden my mbox 2 wont light up. I also understand ther is a firmware upgrade available:Mbox2_Firmware_v143_33126

Help!!