Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2002, 05:35 AM

Default Hisssssss!

Is there anything that can be done to minimise the amount of hiss from the C24? I'm using HHB Circle 5 monitors but I'd bet it's the same will any speaker.

DW
Old 09-10-2002, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Hisssssss!

DW,

I don't know how you are wired, but here is what we had going on.

We were comming out monitor outs unbalanced because we were using old crown DC300 amps going to NS10s. The crown was unbalanced. Tried on several speakers and amps with same problem.

Changed output to balanced going to M&K speakers and DynAudio BM15As and his was gone. with same balanced out, connected to new amp for NS10s and hiss was gone.

So, I think, the problem was in the unbalancing the D25 connector and trying to run that way. At least that was our problem.

jai
Old 09-13-2002, 05:10 AM

Thanks Jai,
I'm using powered Circle Fives which are balanced (pin 2 hot) and the monitor out of the C24 is balanced so I cannot see this as the problem.

DW
Old 09-14-2002, 07:12 AM

Im using the Genelecs 1031's as the mains and NS 10's as alts, the mains are balanced and the alts are unbalanced, I dont have any hiss at all from the C24, its very quiet even on full monitor volume.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:22 PM

Hey Ken, do you have the 1031s output volume set to full output? Or are they backed up?
Old 09-16-2002, 09:45 AM

Hi Beech,

Where are you running your control room level control when hitting your normal monitoring volume? I.e. - 9:00, 12:00, etc.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:57 AM

About 10 o clock.

DW
Old 09-16-2002, 11:34 AM

Control|24 has a reasonably quiet noise floor at somewhere over 100 dB down from the maximum output. It sounds to me like your monitor amp is more sensitive than it possibly should be. The original design called for the nominal, or normal listening level to be met when the control was roughly in the 2:00 position (labeled '0' on the panel.) Another 10 dB of gain is available beyond the '0' mark. A portion of the noise on Control|24's output will be there regardless of knob position, so if you start with the control set too low, and then calibrate your monitors to that setting, your monitor amps are amplifying more of the noise than they need to. If you need more output gain than the factory suggested setting provides, I might suggest that you try setting the control to 1:00 and then re-calibrating your monitors and see how the noise is. With your current setup, do you ever turn the monitor pot up full?

Regards,

Stan
Old 09-16-2002, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Armando:
Hey Ken, do you have the 1031s output volume set to full output? Or are they backed up?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My Genelec's are set to 0 dBu, thats the 12 o'clock setting, I just tried to set them to max and crank the C24 mon vol. up to max, then I hear a little hiss, not much. I normally listen with the main mon volume at 12-1 o'clock, depending on what I'm doing.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:29 AM

Thanks Stan, that's exactly what I'll do. Turn the amps down between a third and a half and drive the C24 monitor harder. Should work.

DW