Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2001, 03:40 AM

Default SURFACE Controller for PROTOOLS suggestion !! digi, read&comment pleez !!

Hi guyz
i am working with a digi001 system with a mac G4-450.
I have a yamaha 01V digital mixer hooked to the digi sistem and the whole system works great. I know that it's possible controlling protools's mixer through the 01V faders working in emulation working in cs10 mode under protools software. It's quite bad because you must program your 01V for doing what cs10 wants to do. and i think it's too much limited.
I don't ask digidesign putting an environment *READY* for 01V (like you did for the hui,motormix,peavey,mm16,cs10, etc etc) just because when a new board or surface controller comes out, you must include that one in your list of surface controllers. I have a *MUCH* better suggestion that avoids you lots of work(perhaps):

-What i ask if making a true *OPEN* controller routing window in which you can assign whatever you want to EACH parameter of protools. I know it may be complex and maybe it will need more than 1 window for having all settings to be customized (as MIDI CC/Sysex parameters). But imagine what a nice thing it could be: just put a load/save button for loading/saving your custom configuration and we can build a list of known controllers that may send sysex for each button/knob for example and we can have fast access to all functions of protools in the way we/you want. It may be not so difficult because you know where to act and where the parameters in protools are (inside the application source code i mean): it's enough putting them into an *open* form with a couple of windows that have the option to send EACH fader/knob/button/parameter in protools to a MIDI CC/sysex-string. I think it's MUCH EASIER for you giving out a programmable window with protools paramaters instead of programming a surface control(that you must have, you must test etc etc): give us the open parameters and we'll do the rest with OUR consoles/control surfaces programming ourselves protools for our own consoles. You should do the job only once for ALL kind of consoles,instead of programming the parameters many times onece for each controller. I am sure that there will be users that provide their user files for configuring/setting the correct parameters for the various surface controller boards.

Don't you think this will be a really nice thing for everyone? i don't think you would sell less pro-control/control24 units,because the professionals will continue to purchase procontrol/control24, but i just think that you can provide more users (also the ones with LE system) purchasing your system. This can be a really nice marketing strategy in my opinion because EVERYONE has a set of controllers(like dig mixers, midi surface controls, etc etc) that could use for WHAT they want and not only for controlling for example the first 8 faders of protools like in cs10 emulation mode .

Digi: think about what i said because i think it can ONLY improve your nice software making it really *USABLE* for many, many users.

Any comment on what i said is appreciated, and let's try keeping this post on-top, because i really think this thing is really important.

Regards and happy thinking
yamyyy

PS: Sorry for this long post :/ but i couldn't explain this facts with less words see u soon
Old 05-31-2001, 07:01 AM

Default Re: SURFACE Controller for PROTOOLS suggestion !! digi, read&comment pleez !!

I was able, just by experimenting, to find many midi control messages (by using a 01v) to control Pro Tools parameters. The obvious downside is that it is very difficult (but not impossible,I believe) to create a two-way communication between PT and the 01v. That is, when you move a fader on the 01v it moves on PT (which is the really easy thing do) but also vice versa : that when moving a fader, panpot or whatever on Pro Tools manually or by automation those changes would also happen on the 01v.

But sure, your idea is good! But let's guess will Digi give even a single thought for implementing that...

Z
Old 05-31-2001, 07:08 AM

Default Re: SURFACE Controller for PROTOOLS suggestion !! digi, read&comment pleez !!

Hi Zeus.
I hope digidesign will hear us because the only CS-10 midi implementation is really really poor.
In the meanwhile could pleez send me an e-mail with all the parameters you discovered for controlling the 01V?
Regards and thank you in advance.
yamyyy