Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 02:22 PM

Default Recorded CC values are only the "changed" values

Lets say i tweaked a filter knob halfway through a take. PT starts writing the CC value. The time preceding the filter tweak the filter CC field is blank - the line is at the bottom, but the actual value stored on the synth patch before i tweaked the knob was lets say, in the middle. This means that when i play the midi back to my synth, the synth keeps the filter at the last value it received, which would be the value i had it at the end of my take.

Do I need to do a system exclusive into my midi track that sends PT all of the cc values at the beginning of the take? This seems like it could be troublesome in more complex situations.

What about, if when recording, PT were to adjust the cc values from before the edit to the initial value it first received? E.g., start recording at measure 21, make first filter tweak at measure 30, the cc value for measure 21-31 jumps up to the initial edit it received at measure 30. Is there a setting?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Recorded CC values are only the "changed" values

I will try to clarify

When you record a midi take, and tweak a cc halfway through the take, the only cc value that registers in my pt midi track is the value change i made halfway through. From that point on through the take, the cc value on the synth registers. But there is no cc data from before the first tweak. When i go to play back the take, because there is no cc input at the beginning, thus no cc data being output on that controller, my synth keeps the cc at the last input - the value at the END of the take. So, the sound coming out at the beginning is not how it sounded originally.

How do you all deal with this issue?
Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Recorded CC values are only the "changed" values

The answer is simple but how you can accomplish it isn't. An easy example is for MIDI cc7 - volume. Manually enter a cc7 event and value in the PT MIDI event list so you have a starting volume. Then any subsequent cc7 value that gets written has a base to start from. You could do that in your situation but like I say it requires knowing the starting value of the cc. Never used sysex in PT so don't know how that would react.

QAPLA!