Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Default Re: 003 only as controller - AVID please comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakir_cz View Post
LOL. That's the best description of the Artist Series I've ever heard!

Tom
Funny description Its interesting to note that when Euphonix was not owned by Avid there were many requests to be able to use its then nearly magical Apple blessed controllers with PT. That Avid should implement EUCON support across the Icon lineup. Now that Avid owns Euphonix suddenly the product is considered junk. Was the line junk all along or did simply rebranding it ruin it? Its an interesting perception change while the product itself is virtually unchanged.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM

Na, artist series was over priced plastic all along.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio
Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Funny description Its interesting to note that when Euphonix was not owned by Avid there were many requests to be able to use its then nearly magical Apple blessed controllers with PT. That Avid should implement EUCON support across the Icon lineup. Now that Avid owns Euphonix suddenly the product is considered junk. Was the line junk all along or did simply rebranding it ruin it? Its an interesting perception change while the product itself is virtually unchanged.
Well, my attitude to Artist Series has never changed (didn't even noticed that they were rebranded) since I tried them in person. These controllers have many interesting features, but I found their construction and ergonomics not good at all. It might be sufficient for edit suites or mobile rigs, but I can't imagine using them for serious mixing (the difference is very obvious to me since I've got my C|24). And considering the price/quality ratio, they are expensive. IMO the concept is good, but Avid's Euphonix division should really redesign them to something more serious. They can do it right, their Pro Series consoles are the proof.

But to respond to your suggestions - people wanted adding EuCon to PT for simple reason: Command 8 is rather obsolete and the C|24 too expensive for most home users, not speaking about ICON. Control 24 is old and its form factor doesn't suit everyone. ProControl is even older and hard to find in a good shape these days. And the only way to connect any 3rd party controller was the HUI emulation, which is ridiculously primitive for today's standards. EuCon was a way to get rid of the HUI limitations, however it's still stuck with Euphonix controllers only, which isn't exactly a victory. Imagine the SmartAV Tango with EuCon - that would make a brilliant workstation. Anyway, having EuCon support in PT is a good thing, especially if Avid decides to make it the universal controller standard.

And the EuCon support for ICON consoles also makes sense - there are many studios out there equipped with ICONs, who would love the ability to let's say temporarily switch (for any reason) the console to a different application. I don't see any problem here... while ICON was made to seamlessly integrate with Pro Tools, there is no reason to think that the ability to control other applications wouldn't make the ICON even stronger.

Tom

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Right and a strong product will out sell competition, a week one uses tricks, marketing ploys and silly excuses to retain a share of any given market.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio
Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 AM

i.e ssl's new controller.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis6406 View Post
Right and a strong product will out sell competition, a week one uses tricks, marketing ploys and silly excuses to retain a share of any given market.
i.e ssl's new controller.
Exactly. I actually owned the Nucleus for three months. I was fighting terrible build quality and overheating problems form the day I got it... SSL even sent me a replacement unit, which turned up to be even worse than the first one. I finally managed to return it for a refund. It was a great disappointment, considering the price tag. I expected many things from $5000 SSL, but not a worse build quality than a cheap Command 8 (not saying that C8 is bad, just that the Nucleus was worse). The HUI performance in Pro Tools wasn't stellar either.
Anyway, I've learned my lesson and bought a C|24, which completely changed the way I work with Pro Tools ever since. I absolutely love it!

Btw, the SSL controller wasn't success in my case, but I have to say that their customer support is the best I've ever seen! I've been in e-mail and phone contact with them for almost three months and they have been extremely helpful in solving some of my problems (or at least trying). I wish they built their products like in the old times.

Tom

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 04-06-2011, 02:20 PM

I wanna now were Bill D is . All this nay saying and illegal conversation needs defending. Bill please come to the industry's rescue and defend her honor.

Just kiddn around .

I don't now you but I'm in love with you Bill. Would he rush to defend m y honor with such courage, fire, and dedication. I think I'm moist.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Bump once again.
Avid,
any updates on a firmware update that will allow the 002 / 003 to be used in combination with another interface as a control surface only? Feasibility? Probability?

Please....
Thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Smile Re: 003 only as controller - AVID please comment

Pretty Please, this would be fantastic if I could use my 003 as a controller! cl
Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Avid

I would love to comment, but I'm here to do tech support and unable to make any statements regarding future product development, barring a few isolated situations.

Any commentary about future development has to come through product management and they will typically make those statements on the website, through email announcements or at trade shows, etc. where it will be sent out as a press release.

So, in a nutshell, if you're looking for comments about future development, the DUC is the least likely forum for getting that commentary. We occasionally will post information on specific topics if it applies to that topic and the information is already available via one of the other channels, but that's about the only time you will see things like that here.