Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 09:14 PM

Default How well made is the c-24 vs Hui used prices?

I have a Hui that is sick, only 2 of the faders are working! so being that I've only been a HD user for 3 months I was wondering what experiences people have had regarding Hui and control 24's. Is it worth fixing a hui with this kind of prob, that is what are the chances that I pay $300-$400 and the probs don't come back?
Is the control 24 any better as far problems?
I saw one used for $5500, is it worth buying one used? I really like the Hui but My dealer told me to send it back to Mackie and not trust a reg repair shop so looks like I'll be without it for a couple of weeks, so I'd like to get this right the first time! Thanks for your help!
Daniel
Old 09-25-2002, 12:35 AM

Default Re: How well made is the c-24 vs Hui used prices?

I think that Control24 is a more professional control surface and its value is much more than thrice the price of a HUI. BEcause :

1) It is bigger than HUI and it looks more professional to your clients .
2) It has better event-handling by ethernet than by MIDI(you can work flawlessly with 24 meters, lots of parameters changing, 24 faders moving at the same time while midi suffers from that.. and in fact hui has only 8 faders&8 meters)
3) It has a more professional control monitor and a good big-preamp section
4) The price of 3 HUI is equal to 1 Control24... do your own considerations [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

regards
Ste

PS: I own a control24 and i love it... apart from a little monitor section problem that pops my spekaers although they are powered off... but i am tryin' to solve this issue due to the combination of my active monitor+control24... and not the biggest prob in the world nowadays [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 11:07 AM

Default Re: How well made is the c-24 vs Hui used prices?

I went from one HUI then to 2 HUIs and now to a used C24...

I really like the HUI, never had a problem with them.. I like the HUI layout. Sure it's midi, but I seldom noticed any midi issues if any... Sure it's fader resolution isn't pro, but it worked fine for me.. I went from one to two units, cuz I was tired of hitting the bank shift key.

Well, after a long debate in my head on the pros and cons of the C24, plus having spent some time with Cintiq LCD tablet as another alterntive (really good for some things, but I think having a control surface works better for me), I decided to shell-out the extra $$$'s for the C24... Plus, I found one used at $5K with cable kit...

My main reason for buying the C24, was wanting to be able to control more plugin parameters at one time - - the HUI gives you a row at the top, and C24 lets you put them accross the 24 channels..

I've only had the C24 for a month, but I've been happy with it. It's nice to have 24 channels instead of 16 (2 HUIs)... There's a few more dedicated buttons that make things easier. I love being able to control the plugin parameters accross the channels, and being able to flip them on to the faders for fine tunning is great. I find that I'm using the MAC keyboard and mouse maybe a little less than with the HUI, cuz the C24 dedicated buttons seem easier (like setting groups, I used to use the Mac keyboard, but now I'm hitting the C24 buttons)...

About the only thing I don't like is the location (and control) of the scribble strips... The HUI has the track names close to the fader and rec button, so it's easy to know which fadder or rec button you are hitting... but the C24 has the scribble strips in the middle of the board, and I think it's hard to grab the right fader or rec button quickly.. I find that I'm counting off faders or I need to carefully eyeball which rec button I'm hitting... Plus, the scribble strips have multiple duties, so when they're displaying a plugin parameter, it's hard to figure out the fader channels without going back to fader mode..

Plus, I really haven't a use for the C24 preamps and mixer...

These things aside, I've been happy with moving up to the C24, but it did require a $2K+ incremental investment over my 2 HUIs...

BTW, I hear the Mackie repair group is good, and they can refurb the HUI for around $200 to $300 depending on what they fix, so if you have been happy with the HUI and serves your needs, then it really comes down to how much you want to invest in a control surface...

hope this helps