How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2002, 08:56 AM

Default Surround monitor set up question

Hi folks,
This is probably a silly question but I have not been able to get an answer from my speaker manufacturers (HHB). I'm using a Control 24 and HHB Circle Five monitors with the HHB Circle One for sub bass (all self powered). My question is , do I really need to have some form of bass management system just to set the level of the sub? There must be a simple way of doing this.

Thanks in advance

Daire
Old 09-02-2002, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Surround monitor set up question

HHB i believe has a built in crossover of 120Hz on their circle 1. although i m not familiar w/ the circle 1. try looking for a hole with a recessed pot.
there really should be an easy way to change the xover freq.
some manufacturers do neglect having an adjustable xover.
if u want to adjust the spl look on the back of the unit. i believe there is even a thump mode.

--------
RADAR
Old 09-03-2002, 04:21 AM

Thanks Radar, indeed there are 3 pots on the back of the Circle One. Input Sensitivity, LF Boost and Phase. I suppose with the sensitivity turned up full, no LF Boost or Phase, then, assuming that the five surround speakers are all also turned up full, the system should be considered to be reasonably aligned, at least from a volume point of view. I must get back to HHB and get some literature, which must ship with their speakers!

Daire
Old 09-03-2002, 02:49 PM

Daire

to set up levels properly, you should use an spl meter. i'm in L.A., if u r local, give a call, depending what city u r in i can possibly give u a referral. you should also keep in mind, placement of the subwoofer matters. the distance away from the wall behind it at 1/4 of the wavelength will put that frequency 180 degrees out of phase.

--------
RADAR
Old 09-03-2002, 04:39 PM

Radar

Sorry, but I could hardly be further away...Dublin, Ireland! I have used (on my previous test set up) Spectrafoo to set levels between the 5 surround speakers. That's when I ran into the problem of what to do about the sub. I've since downloaded a brief .pdf from the HHB site which basically gives me 2 choices:
1. Take the six outs directly from the C24 and plug directly into the six speakers...that simple.
2. Take the six outs from the C24 and plug into the HHB Circle One sub, and from there take an out to each of the five surrounds. This way the crossover in the sub comes into play, ie. stopping the surrounds from going below 120hz. At the moment I favour this way.

I guess the only other thing I have not figured out is, what will happen when I switch the C24 to Stereo? Will the sub still be in the path, with the Lr, Rt crossing over at 120hz. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to set the C24 in surround mode yet, but I have recorded a Soundfield mic over an audience and returned it through it's processor...It sounded maga!

Meantime, I'm off to bed, trusting that Mezzo 4.2 will backup 70gigs without any foul ups.

Daire