Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2024, 03:08 PM

Default Perfectly Quantized MIDI looks crazy in Score Editor - Bug?

Hi everyone,

This one really has me stumped and is the first time I've ever experienced this issue. Even though all my MIDI is quantized to eighth notes, perfectly to the grid, the rhythms in the Score Editor are incorrect, not lined up with the beat, and spelled with some crazy ties and groupings of 128th notes, 256th notes, etc. Please see the attached images of the same passage (I broke up the MIDI screenshot into two images so you can see it clearer here). Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Some more info: I really need to be able to use the score editor as I'll be recording real instruments and need to be able to read the music, export to Sibelius, etc. I'm working in a session with a single unchanged BPM, 123. And I've used the Score Editor successfully in other sessions recently; it only seems to be screwed up in this one session. However, I'm very far along in this session and can't really afford to restart it.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts / guidance here! Thank you!

-Jeremy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Score Editor.jpg (55.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MIDI Editor 1.jpg (31.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MIDI Editor 2.jpg (42.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-10-2024, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Perfectly Quantized MIDI looks crazy in Score Editor - Bug?

If it is just a corrupt session, you can create a fresh session and import all tracks, markers, tempo etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2024, 04:49 AM

Does your session start on the beginning of a bar?
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 02-11-2024, 07:26 AM

It's just another example of the fairly substandard MIDI implementation on Tools. If you zoom in on the MIDI editor, and I mean RIGHT in, you'll probably see the notes aren't quite on the money, even if you wrote them in on Grid mode. They'll be like a nananananano second off. Sometimes they look on but if you use the "trim" tool they'll go bang on the money without any visual change. It's something to do with ticks or samples mode, or swapping, or copying clips, I dunno - I've kind of got bored of trying to work out what it is that's wrong, and just accept the crappiness with as much love in my heart and soul as I can muster at 3am on a bleak Sunday morning.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS AIKEN View Post
If it is just a corrupt session, you can create a fresh session and import all tracks, markers, tempo etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your idea Chris! So I tried it, and the first time it didn't work - the problem was exactly the same with a new session. The second time, I chose not to import the tempo track / map - and it solved the bug! Now everything looks fine. So, something about the tempo map was screwing up the notation display, even though MIDI was quantized down to the sample perfectly. Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
Does your session start on the beginning of a bar?
Thanks for your comment Huzzam! It did start perfectly on a bar... Although it was the second bar, but still, perfectly on that bar.

Anyway, the tempo map seemed to be the issue corrupting the session somehow - when I created a new session and imported everything except the tempo map, the issue was solved! Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
It's just another example of the fairly substandard MIDI implementation on Tools. If you zoom in on the MIDI editor, and I mean RIGHT in, you'll probably see the notes aren't quite on the money, even if you wrote them in on Grid mode. They'll be like a nananananano second off. Sometimes they look on but if you use the "trim" tool they'll go bang on the money without any visual change. It's something to do with ticks or samples mode, or swapping, or copying clips, I dunno - I've kind of got bored of trying to work out what it is that's wrong, and just accept the crappiness with as much love in my heart and soul as I can muster at 3am on a bleak Sunday morning.
Thanks for your idea Midnight Rambler! So, I did quadruple check this, and the MIDI was indeed right on the money, all the way down to the sample; it really was right on exactly with quantization. However, as mentioned here in the thread, I was able to solve it by copying all session data except the tempo track into a new session - so I think it was that somehow the tempo track was corrupting everything. Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate it!