Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Switching Sample rates still causes havoc

As an aside, my RME UFX has no issue changing sample rates. All I have to do is open a session and the UFX follows the sample rate of the session. In a year and half, this has only not happened once. I do have to change the Buffer size first in the UFX's software and then in Pro Tools, closing PT to allow this to happen. However, PT will warn me what I need to do if I first try to change the Buffer size in PT.

AFAIK, it's RME's drivers that allow the sample rate to change, not anything Avid did specific to RME interfaces. And, consensus around the 'net is, that RME has the top drivers.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-05-2017, 09:57 AM

Default Switching Sample rates still causes havoc

Not trying to jump on a bash Focusrite bandwagon, but in my experience having used and trying to support multiple Focusrite interfaces on Windows is that their Windows driver developer places higher priority on OS functionality instead of ASIO functionality. ASIO should always override OS use, but if you read the release notes that come out with every driver and beta, you'll see that the OS is plainly given priority. Focusrite needs to elevate ASIO to the highest priority and provide the correct hooks and callbacks to support sample rate switching along with other features allowed by ASIO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Not trying to jump on a bash Focusrite bandwagon, but in my experience having used and trying to support multiple Focusrite interfaces on Windows is that their Windows driver developer places higher priority on OS functionality instead of ASIO functionality. ASIO should always override OS use, but if you read the release notes that come out with every driver and beta, you'll see that the OS is plainly given priority. Focusrite needs to elevate ASIO to the highest priority and provide the correct hooks and callbacks to support sample rate switching along with other features allowed by ASIO.

Well, I'm convinced. But how do we convince Focusrite of that?

Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
As an aside, my RME UFX has no issue changing sample rates. All I have to do is open a session and the UFX follows the sample rate of the session. In a year and half, this has only not happened once. I do have to change the Buffer size first in the UFX's software and then in Pro Tools, closing PT to allow this to happen. However, PT will warn me what I need to do if I first try to change the Buffer size in PT.

AFAIK, it's RME's drivers that allow the sample rate to change, not anything Avid did specific to RME interfaces. And, consensus around the 'net is, that RME has the top drivers.
Well, not being a software engineer or programmer, I can't pretend that I know what changes in drivers or software need to occur to address this issue. What I do know from experience, is that other DAWs don't seem to have issues with sample rate switches, even with Focusrite. I'm not sure what that might mean. If users of other DAWs have had problem with sample rates switching, I haven't seen it reported on a forum...but perhaps they have. In any case, I think Jimmy's comment is quite correct, and Focusrite needs to prioritize ASIO functionality. And, perhaps Avid needs to take a look at what they might need to share with 3rd party interface providers to assist in making things more compatible across the board. Ideally, one should just be able to open a session and the interface will automatically switch to the session sample rate, like used to happen before 9.0 with Avid interfaces. But, perhaps that requires sharing too much proprietary info, I don't know.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Default Switching Sample rates still causes havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well, I'm convinced. But how do we convince Focusrite of that?

They obviously don't have the motivation to address the issue and development for the gen 1 Scarletts has ended so unfortunately the issue will be permanent for many users. Meanwhile, Focusrite gets to continue using their name to sell poorly supported "professional" audio devices.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-05-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
They obviously don't have the motivation to address the issue and development for the gen 1 Scarletts has ended so unfortunately the issue will be permanent for many users. Meanwhile, Focusrite gets to continue using their name to sell poorly supported "professional" audio devices.

This latest incident has got me started at looking at alternatives. One being the MOTU Audio Express 6x6. I don't need a large number of input/outputs. My main work is scoring for videos, and virtually everything I use is "in the box". I would like occasionally to record live acoustic guitar or vocals, so having mic inputs is good. I also use the S/PDif I/Os all the time.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:38 PM

I can't speak for the Scarletts. I will say I have a Clarett 2 pre and I liked it so much, I ended up getting an Clarett 8preX as well. I have 0 issues with them. Set the sound settings in the Control Panel to a different interface, and there are no issues.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I can't speak for the Scarletts. I will say I have a Clarett 2 pre and I liked it so much, I ended up getting an Clarett 8preX as well. I have 0 issues with them. Set the sound settings in the Control Panel to a different interface, and there are no issues.

I'm actually considering moving away from Focusrite. I've been looking at a MOTU Audio Express 6x6. What I don't know is whether it allows audio loop back. I need that at times. But all the other features seem in line with what I would need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk