Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Anyone Else Hearing a Fuzzy Phasing Thing in EXP with High Gain Patches?

Chimp,
It is the Factory Black Hat patch - E3.

John
Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Avid

Default Re: Anyone Else Hearing a Fuzzy Phasing Thing in EXP with High Gain Patches?

I can use that preset just fine if I set the Release time to 10ms fully counter-clockwise. The sound in the file that was posted is definitely the Gate fading out, but it sounds like a palm mute was the technique...sometimes the palm mute itself can cross the Gate threshold, so it closes, opens, closes very quickly. That can be fixed by setting the Threshhold higher, like -30, depending on how meat-fisted you are .

Speaker Breakup has no affect on the reported sound. The problem is not with Breakup, it's with the Gate/Release settings.

I was also able to A/B FW 1.0.3 and 2.0 directly (I have a number of Racks, of course) and there is no difference in the Black Hat preset.

I also verified that there is no 'bump' just before the Gate starts its fadeout.
P&S Creative Professional
AVID

Last edited by TheChimp; 03-28-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWiggler View Post
Yes. That is the artifact.

John
That is just the gate release you are hearing. The gate release control in the Eleven Rack only goes down to 10ms and that is too long of a release time in some cases. It's always been like that since day one and the gate could really use an update to tighten up the tail on the release. If you could adjust it below 10ms then you wouldn't hear the artifacts at the end.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Got it. I beat my strings pretty hard when playing live (looks like I need to work on my technique <g>).
Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 AM

First of all: I'm not an amp expert and I could be completely off here; however, if you've ever plugged into any of these amps - even with the absolute best cables known to man - and turned up gain, then the volume on your guitar (without any gate), you're gonna hear the "artifact" that's been isolated in the edited example. All you're hearing IMHO is the noise a wide open guitar plugged into a wide open amp makes being caught and trimmed slowly by the gate.

Turn the gate all the way off and then attempt this without turning your guitar's volume down in between "chunks" and you won't hear a fizz...but an *****-kickin' amp buzzing to be let loose. When you plug into the real McCoy of these amps you HAVE to use your guitar's volume and/or a gate to eliminate this. For the most part, I despise gates and don't use them, but instead use my guitar's volume control and/or switch to a clean patch when in a live environment to eliminate the buzz when I'm not playing.

I could be wrong about this; however, I'm running most patches with the gate off, mostly high gain patches and am not having this problem. Good luck working it out. I don't think it's the v2.0/ERXP, though, and really encourage you to put that back on as it's absolutely incredible.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 AM

I'm a brand new 11R user, and noticed this after selecting a Plexi-vari model immediately after getting the expansion. With that amp through the default 25W Green cab, when I hit a low E power chord and let it sustain, it would start to do this weird phasing thing. I found by going to the 20W cab, and selecting a different mic, I got a different tone and didn't notice this phasing thing after a few seconds of sustain. But I'm reassured to see that other people have noticed this too, and that it may just be the noise gate.
Main gear: PRS guitar, 11R, Cubase 5
Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkaye View Post
I'm a brand new 11R user, and noticed this after selecting a Plexi-vari model immediately after getting the expansion. With that amp through the default 25W Green cab, when I hit a low E power chord and let it sustain, it would start to do this weird phasing thing. I found by going to the 20W cab, and selecting a different mic, I got a different tone and didn't notice this phasing thing after a few seconds of sustain. But I'm reassured to see that other people have noticed this too, and that it may just be the noise gate.
It's not just the noise gate. I don't use the gate and never have.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one hearing this. I started a thread over at the ElevenRackPresets site as well. Here's the link.

I'd love to get rid of this sound, as the plexis are just plan awesome on the 11r. I love the tone I'm getting, just need to get rid of that artifact.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

*Note*. I don't use the noise gate. The issue gets worse if i change to the G20 cabinet. It's present regardless of microphone, just changes frequencies. It was present in v1., just not as much.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Avid

Turn off/adjust Speaker Breakup on the Cab page. That might be what you're hearing.
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Stvnscott,

Just so I'm totally clear, are you saying that version 1.03 firmware sounds fine to you (or at least decent) and version 2.0 is what you don't like?
Yes. The problem is there in the 1.03 firmware but exaggerated in the 2.0 firmware on the same patches.

I haven't had the time to really play with it since last week. I should have a couple of hours tonight. I hope to be able to do some reamping with 1.03 and 2.0 to see if it is as I remember it.

One thing is for certain. The new Plexi Vari and 20W cabinet really bring it out.

Just to reiterate... All of my testing has been done with the speaker breakup and noise gate turned off.