Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-10-2005, 08:53 PM

Default The New Digidesign . . . A Prediction Only

Ok, I have nothing to back this up - just my own thoughts, but . . .

> Notice how Digidesign seems to move further away from its once strong ties with Apple and closer to PC's. Afterall, Apple has Logic . . .

> Notice how Digidesign quickly shook hands with M-Audio. M-Audio has a strong PC base. Though Apple friendly, M-Audio was (IMHO) the first quality audio hardware company to take PC's seriously.

> Notice the attention that PC Pro Tools (TDM & LE) users are now getting. It seems to grow stronger and stronger each month. I'll admit it could be better, but hey, they are getting better.

> Notice Pro Tools performance, particularly in LE, that one gets with a PC. A well-tuned PC will run circles around a G5 when it comes to plug-in count, etc.

> Notice how in an official Digidesign post I've read here, that Digidesign is now testing a lot of PC hardware for perfomance, etc.

> From what I've heard, at the last NAMM there were Dell and Intel logos proudly displayed at the Digidesign booth. Any Apple logos? Not from what I've heard.

My guess? Either Digidesign will partner up with Dell to offer exclusive Pro Tools PC's, or Digidesign will start making their own custom Pro Tools compatible PC's (Intel-based of course). The next "bundle" could in fact be an entire system. Just think . . . a PC w/ periphials, an Mbox or 00X, M-Audio monitors, M-Audio midi controller, etc. The ultimate Pro Tools bundle.

Your thoughts?

rockrev
Old 03-10-2005, 09:56 PM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Default Re: The New Digidesign . . . A Prediction Only

You forgot to add that Venue systems run Windows embedded. It's no secret that Apple has set themselves up for failure in the marketplace; it was the proprietary nature of their hardware that got them in trouble in the first place.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the PC is platform worth investing in; more than 9/10 of computer users use PCs.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 PM

Well, I hope not, but you may be right. M-Audio is mediocre, and Dell's no prize, either.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Your thoughts?
Your observation, while accurate, has been discussed for quite a while now, and what "thoughts" come to mind at this point in my life is, "yeah, whatever."
Not dissing your post, but since you asked for my thoughts, then here goes...
I really don't give a rat's ass what Digidesign is up to. Now that every sequencer company has been bought out by someone else, it's rather difficult to feel any sense of loyalty toward one company. At the end of the day, we just want to make music. I can't wait for the day I can just have fun writing music, and selling it, and knowing I connected - emotionally - with some listener out in friggin' Uzbekistan because he really identifies with something I created. That's the day when the obvious gets state and we see the light. The music which reaches people on a purely artistic leven and the machine used to create it are two completely different entities. One really matters, while the other one doesn't.

That said, to give you a less introspective and more upfront answer...
If Digidesign drop Mac support then I drop Digidesign, simple as that.
There are other fish in that sea, and I ain't going back to Windows....
Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 PM

Default agree on that prediction

I don't think digi would ever be dumb enough to drop Apple in anyway- however, I do see the DIGI computer concept as
a huge market money hole. I know I would dish out 3-5k for a workstation optimized for PT, even if it meant loan hunting for awhile... I think this would be a market for a lot of people who want something that works, both Mac users and PC alike. If Digi made a fullblown computer that had elements of their previous products incorporated into it with a sound card built in -and priced it at 1/2 or 1/3 the price of HD's $10,000 (?)
they would make a killing because there would be a lot PT users both professional and aspiring yearning for a system that works and heck, make it 48 tracks while your at it Digi! Throw in some more plugins, and make this thing dual processor compatible for the next wave of chips that are coming out in 2005.... am i just dreaming? Now the interesting thing would be... who's OS to use?
follow the Korg Oasys and go Linux?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: agree on that prediction

I've lost all confidence in Digi choosing a good quality PC. I doubt they even know what optimum chipset they are designing for. I think they are basicallly writting the software for chips that they can 'write code through' instead of 'writing code to enhance'. Their recommendations of the MusicXPC was a joke. It is a guttless little wonder full of hype and not even a whimper for byte(except the fan noise and case rattles, of course). Please, please, don't even give Digi the hint of manufacturing their own PC's. In my opinion, these stand alone systems with their own DSP and CPU embedded is the wave of the future. Let's talk to a PC through firewire or even wifi. But Don't! ask digi to do it. They are having enough trouble as it is. PTLEv7 is the last opportunity I'm willing to give Digi on the LE front. Either across the board compatable and efficient, or this Digi becomes a simple tape machine for me. At least my other investments are transferable to other platforms. Digi is choosing some very strange bedfellows lately. In the old days we use to call them 'phonies' (just to behave a little here).
Old 03-11-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: agree on that prediction

While it's all good to speculate about what digi are up to, at the end of the day they are a company who wants to make profits and there isn't anything wrong with that either but I can't see digi making available systems to run PT on. At the end of the day it really isn't hard to build or have built a PC that will run PT, so I can't see there being a huge market there at all.

I am always so fascinated and intrigued to come here to the DUC and read all the problems some of you guys are having getting things to work properly. It really IS NOT rocket science.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:04 AM

my 2 cents.

digi needs to have a stronger relationship with the pc manufacturers. They need a stronger r & d devision to test boxes from each manufacturer. Also, establish certification with companies such as Sony, Dell, HP, etc. that specifies "DIGI PT compatible". Currently, their list of compatible machines is 1) old 2) not comprehensive. Digidesign has left to much decision making to the user/customer. That is a BIG mistake. For Digidesign to capitalize on the name PRO TOOLS.. they need to provide a system that is as intuitive and easy to operate as a korg or yamaha playstation. Maybe, the answer is a plug in card that sits in your pc and uses only gui and ram.

btw: this is a great thread.. We need to keep brainstorming this issue and hope that Digi is watching.

additional thoughts: It is a fact that Apple is wooing video folks from AVID to FCP.. this isnt only a digi problem. The mac does offer a real nice turnkey system for audio(logic) and video(Final Cut Pro). It kinda reminds me of what happened with IBM in the 90's when other pc makers came on the scene and said we can do what you do better and cheaper. IBM gave up the personal computer ghost. Maybe, Digi and AVid will give up the small/mid user market and just focus on high end expensive gear ie ICON VENUE HD etc. That would leave Apple(logic/fcp) and Yamaha(cubase/pinnacle) to fight it out. Oh what about Sonar and Motu you ask... what about it? I agree with the guy who said... we are muscians and we just want to write music this stuff gets in the way doesnt it

Furthermore, Digi will you just get over it and make PT vst compatible... it is the industry standard now and it ainta gonna change... you can keep your rtas but, pleassssssse make this software vst compatible so i dont have to fool with that wrapper.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:36 AM

pk hat,

It would be foolish of Digi to drop Mac. I seriously doubt that would happen at all. I simply think that Digi will push harder towards the PC market . . . it's where the money is.

===

That being said, I think of all of this as nothing but positive. Just think, if Digidesign can rake in more and more profit, they can give us a better and better product. But . . .

Digidesign needs us.

They need to know what works and what doesn't. They need to know that their Windows line can and will succeed - IF - they listen to the Windows users. Let's face it. Windows is far from sexy like the Mac. If you want a sexy computer, get a Mac . . . dim the lights . . . and make sweet music. Or do like me and think about getting a Mac just for internet browsing, etc. If you want a PT workhorse . . . if you want to get some shiznot done . . . if you want to run more than six good plug-ins in one LE mix session . . . then get a PC and get going. The PC's work wonders with PT, but Digidesign could work them MUCH better.

I say "great job" Digidesign, but you can do greater. Keep making it better and you'll have us for life.

rockrev
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 AM

considering digidesign is part of avid, i doubt we'll see any lessening focus for that platform.

my take is that digi is looking to team up with a pc manufacturer to offer systems that are guaranteed to work.

just my two cents.