Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-25-2019, 04:10 PM

Default How do I open Mini Grand from Pro Tools First?

I'm new to computer midi. So hopefully this is something obvious.

As far as I can tell Mini Grand is installed and activated but I don't see how to use it. I can open Pro Tools First 9 and switch around instruments in a midi channel from the drop down menus in the Expand!2 module. But when I search for Mini Grand I can't locate it anywhere. I've looked in Multi-channel plugin > Instrument and Search. No luck. What am I missing?

Checklist: Windows10, I7 processor, tons of memory,

M-Audio account - check
Avid account - check
ILok account - check

Pro Tools First downloaded, licensed, installed and activated (confirmed because Pro Tools First opens on my computer and shows up in ILok)

Mini Grand "apparently" downloaded, installed, licensed and activated (shows up on my Ilok account but I can't see where to open it or bring it into Pro Tools First) Mini Grand files are right there in my computer's file manager but I must be missing something.

Last edited by Dugzone99; 04-25-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Re: How do I open Mini Grand from Pro Tools First?

You need to run the Air Instruments installer. Have you done that?

What *exact* steps did you take to actually install the plugins?

The MiniGrand.aaxplugin plugin files is *where* *exactly*. Or are you referring to something else? In the plugin folder with all the other .aaxplugin files?

Do you see the MiniGrand plugin load when Pro Tools starts up?
Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 PM

Not sure about PTFirst, but in regular PT, MiniGrand(and most all VI plugins) are best used on a stereo instrument track

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-25-2019, 08:56 PM

Hi Darryl, Thanks for getting back. Please bear in mind my computer literacy is a bit patchy. I was into Midi a bit back in the old days when it was more keyboard to keyboard. But it seems there are so many more hoops to jump through setting up computer midi. Answers to your questions:

1) No, I did NOT install Air Controller

2) No, I do NOT recall the exact steps for installing Mini Piano (That's the short answer, see long answer below)

3) I believe I do NOT have any other .aaxplugin files on my machine at this point

4) The Mini Grand data is sitting in a stand alone folder that I created in my C: drive user directory

5) I do NOT see Mini Grand load in when Pro Tools First installs

----------------------------

2b) Long answer for memory of Mini Grand install:

Pro Tools Tools First and Mini Grand came included as free trial software with my purchase of an M-Audio Keystation49 mk3 midi controller.

M-Audio directed me to a software installation video that was out of date and otherwise badly done. I could not follow the tutorial. Discovered why. Several days and three calls to M-Audio tech support before one of them realized I was looking at updated versions of the Avid and Ilok account interfaces which were not represented in the tutorial video. Aaaargh!

I do remember the Mini Grand download was initiated form the Pro Tools drop down menu in my Avid Account - you must know the long list of software that accompanies Pro Tools. After that there was a certain amount of trial and error and following prompts until something seemed to work. I also recall at one point there was an installation prompt that appeared in the tray at the bottom of my screen.

But as I say, I did assign the Mini Grand data to a Folder that I set up myself. Perhaps it would be worth deleted the existing Mini Grand files and starting afresh under more expert guidance - along with the Air Controller install you mentioned.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 PM

You have a whole folder of .aaxplugin files they are your plugins.

Look at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins

If you are not seeing the plugin load, it's likely not in that folder and you likely have not actually installed it.

There should be an installer. You downloaded something from your Avid account... you mean from the Avid account website? Then you need to manually run the installer (as an Administrator), or if you mean via Avid Application Manager then it should start running the installer for you. Make sure if the installer is trying to run it's not hidden behind other Windows on your desktop and your account has Windows Admin privileges.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:08 PM

And a footnote:

PT First doesn’t allow any 3rd party plugins to run so only plugins and Virtual Instruments (like MiniGrand) bought via Avid website or Avid Marketplace will run inside the PT First Version.

So if MiniGrand was NOT included in the PT First installer or affiliated files you recieved after registration of PT First then I doubt it will run .

And dont make any own folders to put plugin info or apps inside as the plugins will make their own if need be so PT knows where to look.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-26-2019, 08:41 AM

Noted. Thanks. Especially about 3rd party. Mini Grand was included in the Pro Tools package I received.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:14 AM

I've located the folder with the Avid plugins. Thanks. I see Expand!2 and about a dozen others but nothing related to Mini Grand. I assume what you do next is describe a new Mini Grand download.

I have what is called an Avid Master Account, also an Ilok account, plus I'm pretty sure I have some kind of Avid application manager like what you mention.

The Mini Grand download is initiated from my Avid Account, from a long drop down menu of other software that came with Pro Tools First. If this is correct, I know how to initiate a new download and follow the prompts. I will not try to reassign the download file location this time.

Where do I check for Windows Admin privileges? Since I was able to successfully download and install Pro Tools First I assume I must already have those privileges. Is this correct?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugzone99 View Post
I've located the folder with the Avid plugins. Thanks. I see Expand!2 and about a dozen others but nothing related to Mini Grand. I assume what you do next is describe a new Mini Grand download.

I have what is called an Avid Master Account, also an Ilok account, plus I'm pretty sure I have some kind of Avid application manager like what you mention.

The Mini Grand download is initiated from my Avid Account, from a long drop down menu of other software that came with Pro Tools First. If this is correct, I know how to initiate a new download and follow the prompts. I will not try to reassign the download file location this time.

Where do I check for Windows Admin privileges? Since I was able to successfully download and install Pro Tools First I assume I must already have those privileges. Is this correct?
If you installed Pro Tools First from the same user login then yet you have enough privileges to install the plugins.

What about other plugins that were included in that MAudio keyboard offer? Are they installed and working OK?

It's not perfectly clear if you mean drop down menu on the Avid Web site or within Pro Tools First.

The normal way of purchasing a plugin for Pro Tools First would be via the in-app Marketplace. IU have no clue what mAudio expects you to do here, I would if they did not provide clear instructions you may need to ask them again.

And I would hope that plugin then shows up for download, if nowhere else then in the Avid App Manager. You should find the Avid App Manager and what shows up there under Plug-Ins?

if MiniGrand.aaxplugin is not in the plugin folder then you likely have not run the installer. Not actually installing the plugin is unlikely something the installer will get wrong (unless you have hacked on and messed up the system, but you don't sound like somebody who would do that).

If you are interested in this stuff and can't make progress with the MAudio offer you can also purchase the Avid annual subscription for the Complete Plugin Bundle for $50 and get a lot of good stuff there, including Mini Grand. But only makes sense if you plan on using some of those other plugins.

That Mini Grand is not just included with Pro Tools First is fairly mind numbing, given that it is so handy, including as a defacto VI for just testing stuff. If you are seriously infested in VIs and say composition, there are also many other DAWs besides Pro Tools First to consider and lots of factors that go into choosing one... including ideally selecting one that folks you know or play with in a band etc. already use.