Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2003, 09:46 PM

Default Focusrite Liquid Channel

Now here's an interesting concept. "Every classic pre/comp" in one outboard box. Wonder what this puppy will cost?

Liquid Channel website
Old 10-20-2003, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Liquid Channel

$3495 retail...
Old 10-20-2003, 01:45 PM

Ouch

And apparently 2 are needed for stereo
Old 10-20-2003, 02:13 PM

Even though they don't cop preamps, it seems to me the Sintefex units are much better boxes for the money. They also use dynamic convolution, are stereo, and copy top compressors AND EQ's. Just feels like a better box because EQ's and comps seem like they'd be "easier" to "virtually" capture than mic preamps would.

Check 'em out.

Maybe they all suck, I dunno, I haven't heard any of them.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Even though they don't cop preamps, it seems to me the Sintefex units are much better boxes for the money. They also use dynamic convolution, are stereo, and copy top compressors AND EQ's. Just feels like a better box because EQ's and comps seem like they'd be "easier" to "virtually" capture than mic preamps would.
I don't know...I guess it will be hard to say for sure which is a better value for the money until the Liquid Channel comes out. It does seem like EQ's and compressors would be "easier" to "virtually" capture than preamps would to me as well...which is why the Liquid Channel may be a good deal despite the price. If it does what it's supposed to do, and does it well...it's about the same price of a vintage Neve preamp/EQ, give or take depending on model, condition, etc...so it seems like it would actually be quite a bargain if it works well.

As for the EQ, it's supposed to be a dead knockoff of the ISA110 EQ...I'd imagine that since it's a digital box it may be possible for them to add additional EQ models (or "convolutions", since they don't appear to like the word "model") down the line. It's all software, right?

-Duardo
Old 10-20-2003, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Check 'em out.

Maybe they all suck, I dunno, I haven't heard any of them.

I own an FX2000 by Sintefex and it does EVERYTHING but suck. Blew my mind for 2 weeks straight when I first got one and spent some time on it. It's become a favorite tool in my mastering studio....Hell, if it's good enough for Abbey Road...

The Sintefex can actually model other signal paths too, like 15 and 30 ips tape, Marshalls, Leslies, etc.

The Focusrite IS interesting... Lot of money for a mono channel though.

From looking at the Sintefex website just now though, it LOOKS like Focusrite is licensing/partnering on the technology from Sintefex. Very interesting! We should see some pretty cool products if they keep that parternship up! I imagine the Focusrite product has some of the same models of comps as the Sintefex....

D