Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Protools runs so slow on my computer! Please help.

First off, thanks to anyone that replies. I am running Protools 7.0 with my MBox with Windows XP. I already optimized my computer for audio, except I couldn't figure out how to de-activate hyper-threading. I so often get error messages when running Protools like, "Windows virtual memory is too low, your system is low on virtual memory, windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. And "Audio is conflicting with other CPU tasks. IF this occurs often, try reducing the buffer size in the playback engine. Then 5 minutes later it tells me DAW can't keep up and that I should increase the buffer size. Basically my computer has always had a hard time running protools. I have a HP Pavillion A810N with 160 gig, 512 MB of ram, the processor speed is 2.4 GHz. It seems like my computer should run a lot better than it is. It's pretty much to the point where I can't even record. I disable the internet, Norton AntiVirus, and Spysweeper when I run it. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? I was thinking of taking it in to the comp store and adding more RAM. Any help and insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Protools runs so slow on my computer! Please h

Please start with the steps in The General Troubleshooting thread

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-25-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Protools runs so slow on my computer! Please help.

Do you have a dedicated audio drive, or are you trying to record to the system drive? You need 2 drives...one system drive, and one audio. That's one thing that might be causing problems.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Protools runs so slow on my computer! Please help.

I think you should upgrade your ram, Protools alone needs 512ram, you only have 512 running the whole system..so you need to upgrade your ram to 1GB....
Old 10-25-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Do you have a dedicated audio drive, or are you trying to record to the system drive? You need 2 drives...one system drive, and one audio. That's one thing that might be causing problems.
I do have an external hard-drive with 2 gig worth of space. Should I use that as my audio drive? I know I need more memory apparently. But this is running like [bleep].. Thanks everyone for the insight!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I've pointed this out a few times... You don't NEED two drives. It's recommended as well as a good idea, but it is not always needed. I have only one drive on my PC, no external, and it handles anything I need it to handle. Sure, it may do even better with an external, or even a second internal, but I've yet to need to get one. In this case, it may help. And a 2GB external drive (Firewire? That's also more strongly recommended) is a really small external to try to save to, but good luck.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I've pointed this out a few times... You don't NEED two drives. It's recommended as well as a good idea, but it is not always needed. I have only one drive on my PC, no external, and it handles anything I need it to handle. Sure, it may do even better with an external, or even a second internal, but I've yet to need to get one. In this case, it may help. And a 2GB external drive (Firewire? That's also more strongly recommended) is a really small external to try to save to, but good luck.
Well this is what I have, I can have my mother's 300 Gig external hard-drive and can get more ram as well. Do you all think that will cure this [bleep] problem I've been having? I am a serious artist who doesn't know all that much about computers. I can't even figure out how to disable hyper-threading on my CPU. I know your comp runs fine, but all you left me with was good luck.. Please tell me what I should do. I really need help with this guys.. Thanks.
Jimmy Jam
Old 10-26-2006, 11:52 PM

When you purchase Mbox there is a manual, that shows you how to dis able hyper threading. I think the other way is to have your pc restarted, when it booting up hold the F1 key, then it should bring you to the dos menu, there you may disable hyper threading.

I got an Mbox 2 with PTLE 7.1

Computer

Dell Dimension 3100
3.2 GHZ processing Prower
Windows XP service Pack 2
1 GB Ram (512 x 2)

Hard Disc

Internal 80GB, partitioned into 2 drives, my OS runs on one partition and My Protools sessions alone runs in the Second partition.

the only program that is running on my dell is "PROTOOLS" and nothing else....it works perfectly fine, and every time after a production session, you may need to do disc defragment, you need to do this very often, if not done, it will also slow down your PC.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
When you purchase Mbox there is a manual, that shows you how to dis able hyper threading. I think the other way is to have your pc restarted, when it booting up hold the F1 key, then it should bring you to the dos menu, there you may disable hyper threading.

I got an Mbox 2 with PTLE 7.1

Computer

Dell Dimension 3100
3.2 GHZ processing Prower
Windows XP service Pack 2
1 GB Ram (512 x 2)

Hard Disc

Internal 80GB, partitioned into 2 drives, my OS runs on one partition and My Protools sessions alone runs in the Second partition.

the only program that is running on my dell is "PROTOOLS" and nothing else....it works perfectly fine, and every time after a production session, you may need to do disc defragment, you need to do this very often, if not done, it will also slow down your PC.

Well guys I added a full Gig of memory to my HP and things are definitely runner smoother. I will talke your advice and drefrag my harddrives often. Anything else that anyone can think of to assure I can run multiple plugins? What are the better reverb, delay, exciter, and compression plugins? I listen to some songs on the radio and it has a certain effect that I am not able to figure out.. Crossfade for example has it, it sounds very thick. I love it and want to find it. Can anyone help? Thanks everyone.