Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Default I don't mean to rant but...

Pro Tools hangs and you have to reboot your machine? In this day and age? I am a PC Engineer by trade - doing virtualization and really extensive CPU laden work and nothing I use requires a reboot to clear. This is really upsetting. Avid - you have to fix this right away. PT 10 hangs easily and requires a reboot before it can be used again? Really? Wow.

Cubase it is until this gets sorted out.

Actually StudioOne is looking better and better...

JB
Old 09-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Default Re: I don't mean to rant but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1871 View Post
Pro Tools hangs and you have to reboot your machine? In this day and age? I am a PC Engineer by trade - doing virtualization and really extensive CPU laden work and nothing I use requires a reboot to clear. This is really upsetting. Avid - you have to fix this right away. PT 10 hangs easily and requires a reboot before it can be used again? Really? Wow.

JB
As a 'PC engineer' you should also know that there are countless variables that could lead to any number of issues.

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:

JB
Avid has to fix what exactly right away?

As a "PC engineer" (do you mean a software developer? Sys admin? hardware assembler?) you must be really frustrated by all those annoying users who complain about problems, assume everybody else has the same problem and seem to assume you can guess what their problem is and so fix it. And the really annoying users don't even provide a single piece of useful information to try to help diagnose or solve the problem they are experiencing--how incredibly annoying. Right? Those users just piss me off, but sorry I don't mean to rant

How about impressing us with your engineering skills with helping zero in on what the actual problem is here. Start by looking up and see the big "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this web page, go have a good read of that.

Where is your Sandra report?

Describe clearly what you are doing, what is in your session, how many tracks, what plugins, on which disk drives you have the audio/sessions, any VI samples etc. installed. What interface you are using, what device drivers you ave installed, etc. etc. all the sort of stuff that your technical skills help you understand might be relevant.

What of the standard troubleshooting steps (documented in that link above) have you done?

What of the standard systems optimization steps (yes documented in that link above) have you done?

If you are a developer, when Pro Tools 10 hangs have you tried grabbing a stack trace to see if anything interesting shows up?

Darryl
Old 09-22-2012, 04:58 PM

Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:

JB
These type of people are the reason why I pretty much stopped trying to help people.

I bet that he didn't even do the optimization or even red the help us help you, read this before posting thread.

If you're a pc engineer, than don't quit your day job.. wait sorry.. let me rephrase that, you're a pc engineer, and you can't even figure out what to do to fix your user errors? Time for a change of career I'd think.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl ramm View Post
as a "pc engineer" (do you mean a software developer? Sys admin? Hardware assembler?) you must be really frustrated by all those annoying users who complain about problems, assume everybody else has the same problem and seem to assume you can guess what their problem is and so fix it.

And the really annoying users don't even provide a single piece of useful information to try to help diagnose or solve the problem they are experiencing--how incredibly annoying. Right? Those users just piss me off, but sorry i don't mean to rant

how about impressing us with your engineering skills with helping zero in on what the actual problem is here. Start by looking up and see the big "help us help you - read this before posting!"

where is your sandra report?

What of the standard systems optimization steps (yes documented in that link above) have you done?

If you are a developer, when pro tools 10 hangs have you tried grabbing a stack trace to see if anything interesting shows up?

Darryl
Ouch - it hurts but it's true

What I really don't like is when people come here and say - I'm going to cubase - like we are gonna say "no wait don't go- please we need u here" "please stay - our life is not complete until unless u are here with us"

So unless ur name is Jesus the Christ from Nazareth - then we will find you at the cubase forum if we need you !!!!

Hahahhahahh

Don't mean to rant!!!

😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Now we've all got that off our chest. To the original poster: if you actually provide some useful information you will find other users here more than willing to help.

Most problems with Pro Tools reported here are caused by users. Often beating their heads against what is a more fussy and fragile software environment that they expect, or than it really should be. But to make forward progress folks here need to exclude all those typical problems on your system.

And in terms of gross instability, hangs or requiring reboots etc. The moment that software opens itself up to extensible plugins, or physical interfaces and device drivers get involved any software can potentially suffer from these problems and there is no way a developer can guarantee that won't happen. And it's more of an issue with open environments like Pro Tools 10 with a near unlimited number of possible problems introduced by third party drivers and third party plugins.

So if you actually want help please go through the stuff I mentioned earlier and provide all the info I asked for and anything else you think might help.

Darryl
Old 09-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Ever the statesman Darryl - kudos
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:02 PM

My entire point being to clear a hang of the software it is necessary to reboot the system. Nothing that I might discover during any analysis of my system will change the fact that a hang of the software requires a reboot. That isn't a system problem. It might be caused by a system problem, I expect and work around those kinds of issues with every application. No arguement. However, if I fix whatever caused this hang would the next hang not require a reboot? Do any of you have such rock solid systems that PT NEVER hangs on you? Please name another package, especially in its 10th revision, that has that requirement. If this is a problem or need in other packages, then I will apologize, but iirc it wasn't there in previous PT versions, and I have never seen it in anyhing else I have used.

I apologize for the tone of my previous message. I was very frustrated trying to install a piece of equipment that was hanging PT. That wasn't PTs fault - but the need to reboot every time was. I will admit I don't work with Windows every day, or at least not in this vain, but tell me why I am wrong? I am very willing to listen.

Joe
Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Do any of you have such rock solid systems that PT NEVER hangs on you?
Uh, yes?

Plenty of us do. In fact, in 6 years from PT 5.9 to 10.2, I can't ever recall a single time on Windows or OSX where I've had to shut down my system in order to stop Pro Tools from hanging.

Besides, are you saying you've run a piece of software that has NEVER hanged for ANY reason?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515