Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2002, 01:39 PM

Default $$ money? $$

OK, So I have everything set up. I have a decent rig going with PT, lots of chords, mics, outboard gear, and I am making some pretty good sounds. I am currently recording a very talented songwriter and rather well known guy, as well as workiing on tons of my other stuff. The session I am recording right now is a freebie. I figure you have to give away a little ice-cream to sell some later... but I am getting ready to take this to the next level.
So - this is a personal question, but I really dont know... the last pro recording session I was involved in didnt cost me a dime. Someone else footed the bill. The last time I paid for a session was about 13 years ago.
So how much do I charge? I know this is a vague question with lots of variables, but I am not sure where to start. I dont want to give it away, and I dont want to be too pricey either because I know my studio isnt the "best", good, but not like some I have been in.
Any ideas or at least some sort of frame of reference?

Old 11-30-2002, 05:08 PM

Default Re: $$ money? $$

what kind of gear do you have? what kind of experience or "clout" do you have? i'd start at somewhere between 30-50 bucks an hour. that is, unless you have an AKG c12 going through a neve 1073.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:50 PM

I would recomend you start out with doing priceing per project. I know that right now I am kinda at the same stage you are. People just seem to respond so much better when you can give them a bulk price for the project. I usually give them a bulk price and say they can have as much time as they want as long as they stay with in reason. I also charge way less than I should but hey I'm just getting started right. Oh well, I just love doing it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2002, 06:11 PM

I agree with Calvin. As an artist, the bottom line is the price per project. I'm always looking to map out a budget plan and have the producer work within that set range.

It's certainly more attractive to me that way.

Just my 2cents. Good luck to you!
Old 11-30-2002, 10:05 PM

These examples assume you have 24 or 32 tracks digital (of course), and have enough mixer channels to record a basic band.

A couple of things I do for bands. Charge by the day instead of by the hour. Example, 12 pm to 12 am is $399 (or $299 or whatever) for bands that need 2 or more days, and order a pizza for dinner break, and keep working.

Or, you could do 4 hour blocks for $149 or $199. That's $30 to $50/ hr, but is a figure a client can grasp, and is a workable amount of time musically, and you can book 2 a day if your schedule permits. For example, I do 3 song band demos for $199. This includes tracking, fixing mistakes, mixing, mastering, and burn to a CD in 4 to 6 hours. That's total time, from load in to bye-bye, so bands better be rehearsed. I do them all the time for extra cash, and the bands think they are cheap as hell for what they get, a finished CD. You also make friends by not charging if you go 90 minutes over.
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
You could also say, "Listen. I'll give you Thursday night from 7 to 11 for $100." If it means filling an empty evening with a session, do what you think is right.

All of this pricing is assuming a fully functioning studio with full miking and headphone capability. It also assumes that you know what you are doing, your work is good to excellent, and the client never has to wait for you.

Maybe you should charge more, or less, in certain circumstances. I have also done sessions for gear. Does the client have any rack gear? or mics? or speakers? What do you need? Just a few suggestions from the trenches. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sean