Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Mac OS X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 AM

Default Pro Tools Aggregate i/o

Hello. This is my very first post to this forum. Please excuse any lameness. I am trying to aggregate devices for use in pro tools express. I have followed the instructions in the pro tools expert yt video, found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCXMZwJEKdc
note: he's using pt 9, and i have pt 10.3.4.

step 1: with pro tools closed, open audio midi setup. check.
step 2: in the audio devices window, you see the list of devices on the left. pane. i did as he did and added one to the list called my setup. check.
step 3: i checked the boxes on the right called "built-in input (his screen shows it called "built-in line input")", and "avid mbox". also appearing in the list of devices is my yeti usb microphone. i tried this with the box checked and unchecked but no luck.
step 4: save it by closing the audi devices window. check.
step 5: launch pro tools session, and go to the set-up menu and choose playback engine. this is where the road ends for me: he sees at the top of his PE window a pull-down menu with a bunch of choices, including protools aggregate i/o, and the setup his created (called in his case "Russ's Set-up"
When i open the PE window, there is no pull-down menu at the top - it just says "Avid Mbox"
i also followed his last step - critical he says, of going into the preferences folder under library on his mac and changed all permissions to Read and Write.

my usb mic dosnt appear in my pro tools session. so, any help? any joy? hopefully i've described it clearly.

much appreciation, in advance.
storkindeutschland
Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Arrow Re: Pro Tools Aggregate i/o

Quote:
Originally Posted by storkindeutschland View Post
When i open the PE window, there is no pull-down menu at the top - it just says "Avid Mbox"
Pro Tools Express can only use select Avid audio interfaces. It cannot use Aggregate i/o devices.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Aggregate i/o

Thank you for replying, "Chief Technician" - if that is indeed your name. I prefer to call you Sally, and leave it at that. At least now i know that I'm screwed for using my other mac ins and outs with pte. Really disappointed as that was one big reason i bought express. and before you say i should have read more carefully, let's get real. Avid is extremely coy about this feature - as though they don't really want you to know about or use it.to grandvampire: thanks, gv - don't know what faq you found with the answer, but i saw your thread just before i was able to track down my own). though the users on the forum are generally very helpful, the interface itself is awful - the search engine is almost useless, and you can't find your own threads and posts to see if anyone has replied, as far as i can tell. why no email alerts to at least let you know when your thread has been posted?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM

Talking Re: Pro Tools Aggregate i/o

Quote:
Thank you for replying, "Chief Technician" - if that is indeed your name. I prefer to call you Sally, and leave it at that.
Chief Technician is my handle on the forum. My name is Jonathan Abrams. It's in my signature. I prefer you leave it at that.

Quote:
At least now i know that I'm screwed for using my other mac ins and outs with pte. Really disappointed as that was one big reason i bought express. and before you say i should have read more carefully, let's get real. Avid is extremely coy about this feature - as though they don't really want you to know about or use it.
Click on Compare all versions of Pro Tools software towards the bottom of that page. A pop-up matrix window appears. It's noted in there.

Quote:
you can't find your own threads and posts to see if anyone has replied, as far as i can tell.
Click "User CP" along the same horizontal bar with the Search link.
Quote:
why no email alerts to at least let you know when your thread has been posted?
Because you didn't go to User CP-->Edit Options and change the Default Thread Subscription Mode.