Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 02-10-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Please help !!!!!

Okay this may sound like a stupid question, but i am planning to use pro tools free as a midi sequencer for live playback. I have recently installed PT free on a Dell Latitude Laptop pentium III with 256 megs of ram, running windows 98. Pro tools opens up fine and the demo sound check session also opens up and plays fine. My question is this: How do you record onto pro tools with no audo interface? there is no interface as there is with the 001 which i also have. so how do you do it? How do you plug in a guitar, a mic, etc. Will a USB interface work? Currently i am planning on purchasing a USB midid interface so that i can set up my ALESIS QS 8 for midi recording and live playback. This is pretty much the only purpose i plan on using this setup for. Someone tell me am i thinking correctly or am i wrong some where? will any USB midi interface be recognized by PT free upon hook up or does it require some tyupe of set up as digi001 does with OMS. I didnt even see am OMS setup with PT free. What midi interface works the best? I am trying to avoid a PCI card since it is a lap top. A small interface that will take up little room is what im hoping for since i would be using this live for sequencing extra parts to our music.

Please help and thank you in advance

gmoney
Old 02-11-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Please help !!!!!

You'll need some sort of a soundcard that has a line input. As far as i know thats the only way to record in Protools free.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:54 PM

most often, laptops only have a microphone audio input, not line in, which...sorta sucks for recording. i highly recommend using your digi 001 for the recording, then import the mono(left and right)tracks into protools. if you have a microphone input, you can use that, but its going to be low quality.

evn
Old 02-15-2004, 03:32 PM

Don't fprget that somehting like the griffin iMic also works on PC. This USB-audio interface has line in too. M-audio also makes some inexpensive USB-interfaces. I have NO idea how both perform with ptfree

Bastiaan