Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-22-2017, 10:17 AM

Default Help Newbie

Hi
I just got a used PC for my music production, got it mainly for the spec but found two cards in the back. Looks like these http://www.studiocare.com/digidesign...ware-used.html

I have no clue what they do or what they are used for.

Can someone tell me what they are and how to use them, what software and drivers I need plus what they connect too?

Any help would be great

Kr
Old 12-22-2017, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Help Newbie

They are HD cards and here is what you need to use them:
Pro Tools HD software(up to version 10. 11&12 will NOT work)
The HD software requires an iLok license(so you need an iLok and iLok account)
A digilink-equiped interface(such as a Digidesign 96 IO, 192 IO, OMNI or HD IO)
some preamps(the above IO boxes have no preamps except for the OMNI)
A monitor controller(unless you get the OMNI)

Given your current lack of experience and the complexity of HD systems, I would suggest 1 of 2 directions:
1-if you don't mind spending the few thousand dollars for the required hardware and software, I would seek out a local, experienced Pro Tools user and pay them for some help getting things up and running.
OR
2-remove the cards(they might fetch you some cash on the used market) and go with a simpler configuration. What would this option entail? Tough to answer when we know nothing about the computer, SO, click the link near the top called Help Us Help You and post a Sandra report. Once we see the details of the computer, what ports it has and what version of Windows, then we can give you some detailed advice on what to buy to get going
Asus x99, Intel i7 6800K, 32 gig DDR4, GeForce 750 Ti, HD/Native, HD IOx2, PT11HD, UAD Quad, preamps from Vintech, Five Fish Audio, Miktek, Focusrite, Chameleon Labs and Midas..............................
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works
www.capricornsoundworks.com

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-22-2017, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Help Newbie

For a new beginner, just give up now on that hardware. Get Pro Tools 12 and a computer that can run it well. Post a Sandra report like Dave suggested. But be warned older computers that come with these PC cards (that offload processing from the CPU) may well not be up to spec to running modern Windows and modern versions of Pro Tools....

Pop up a level and describe what you want to do musically, what instruments, vocals etc. are you trying to record? List all the relevant stuff you have now that you want to use to record with, e.g. do you own an audio interface, mic preamps, microphones, audio monitors, headphones, MIDI keyboards, electric guitar or bass amps, etc. List all the gear you can. That will help folks here give you much better advice. What you are trying to do is really important. You can track great guitar with a $100 interface and a guitar amp sim plugin and a cheap pair of headphones, OTOH you can easily spend many thousands of dollars on mics and preamps and interfaces to track a set of drums.