Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM

Default Playback Engine/ Buffer issues... more RAM?

Specs:
Mac Pro 3.46 GHz - 6 Core Intel Xeon
32 GB RAM
OSX 10.9.5
SSD for system, other SSD's for audio and sample-streaming libraries

Pro Tools HD 12.5
HD Native Card
Avid HD I/O 8x8x8

When I'm programming w/ larger instruments such as NI's "Giant" piano or LASS string library and running at 128 sample buffer I get the error and playback/recording stops. Both of those are within Kontakt 5 but also happens with Trillian and Omnisphere 2 on occasion.

Am I needing more RAM??
Different settings in Kontakt, or Pro Tools?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.08.35 PM.png (38.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Playback Engine/ Buffer issues... more RAM?

This has nothing to do with RAM.

The error message is telling you exactly want to do. When you increase the buffer size does this go away?

Are you tracking or mixing? Do you need to run at a small buffer size?

Things you you can do to improve this is check you computer is fully optimized, every last thing done.

Follow NI/Kontakt and other plugin vendors optimization/setup guides for Pro Tools.

Check *all* third party plugins are up to date.

NI plugins are not exactly know for being light weight. If problem persist at larger buffer sizes, you may want to do usual troubleshooting steps, trash prefs, remove all third patty plugins and put them back in batches etc. to isolate bad ones, etc. Start at the "help us help you" link up top of this Web page.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This has nothing to do with RAM.

The error message is telling you exactly want to do. When you increase the buffer size does this go away?

Are you tracking or mixing? Do you need to run at a small buffer size?

Things you you can do to improve this is check you computer is fully optimized, every last thing done.

Follow NI/Kontakt and other plugin vendors optimization/setup guides for Pro Tools.

Check *all* third party plugins are up to date.

NI plugins are not exactly know for being light weight. If problem persist at larger buffer sizes, you may want to do usual troubleshooting steps, trash prefs, remove all third patty plugins and put them back in batches etc. to isolate bad ones, etc. Start at the "help us help you" link up top of this Web page.
Thanks Darryl, this problem only happens when 128 or less sample buffer and only when I'm tracking VI's. Of course, I can bring up the buffers to 256 but then it gets laggy. I'll double check all the optimization settings, as you suggested. Many thanks.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 PM

Laggy for playing MIDI in the VI? Or laggy with tracking audio?

If you really need to track audio and need a small IO buffer then freeze all the VI tracks... that's part of the main whole point of Track Freeze in Pro Tools 12.

If you are working with a MIDI/VI track, freeze any other VIs you can, and any regular plugin heavy audio tracks.

But try to get it working as best as it can first, fully optimized etc. Also make sure disk cache is turned on, e.g. set it to 2GB or whatever, just not "normal" == off.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Laggy for playing MIDI in the VI? Or laggy with tracking audio?

If you really need to track audio and need a small IO buffer then freeze all the VI tracks... that's part of the main whole point of Track Freeze in Pro Tools 12.

If you are working with a MIDI/VI track, freeze any other VIs you can, and any regular plugin heavy audio tracks.

But try to get it working as best as it can first, fully optimized etc. Also make sure disk cache is turned on, e.g. set it to 2GB or whatever, just not "normal" == off.
Laggy on the VI I'm playing/recording. I always commit.freeze, etc right after I finish a MIDI part to free up resources and I limit plugins on audio. Just seems the LASS string library is a killer, as is the "Giant" piano sample.
Sometimes I can have just the Giant and one audio vocal channel in record and it won't work at 128.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Specs:
Mac Pro 3.46 GHz - 6 Core Intel Xeon
32 GB RAM
OSX 10.9.5
SSD for system, other SSD's for audio and sample-streaming libraries

Pro Tools HD 12.5
HD Native Card
Avid HD I/O 8x8x8

When I'm programming w/ larger instruments such as NI's "Giant" piano or LASS string library and running at 128 sample buffer I get the error and playback/recording stops. Both of those are within Kontakt 5 but also happens with Trillian and Omnisphere 2 on occasion.

Am I needing more RAM??
Different settings in Kontakt, or Pro Tools?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:42 PM

when running big plugs from native instruments all ways use max buffer setting 128 is not going to cut it
Old 05-13-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
when running big plugs from native instruments all ways use max buffer setting 128 is not going to cut it
How do u deal with latency when playing at higher buffers?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
How do u deal with latency when playing at higher buffers?
Live with it (and no you might not necessarily need to use *max* buffer sizes, but you may need to increase the size).

Again be sure to fully optimize your system.

Use with more efficient VIs at lower buffer sizes.

Record MIDI with more efficient VIs and switch to the heavy ones afterwards if wanted. (or even track with a synth keyboard providing the tones and just capture the MIDI).
Old 05-14-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Live with it (and no you might not necessarily need to use *max* buffer sizes, but you may need to increase the size).

Again be sure to fully optimize your system.

Use with more efficient VIs at lower buffer sizes.

Record MIDI with more efficient VIs and switch to the heavy ones afterwards if wanted. (or even track with a synth keyboard providing the tones and just capture the MIDI).
Thanks. Yeah, besides checking optimization settings (which I'll do this weekend) I've been doing what you described. You've been really helpful and I appreciate it.