Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM

Default Why doesn't the hardware update to software?

Perhaps, I'm not understanding the Eucon Protocol. I was under the impression that the Eucon Protocol was the universally pre-set standard for all "Member DAWs."

If, a command for a DAW is on "the list" in the hardware and that command works on said DAW, then WHY DOESN'T THE HARDWARE ALWAYS SHOW THE COMMAND IT JUST GAVE?

Example: In Nuendo 7, there is a command that let's you duplicate a track. If I select a kick drum and press the Duplicate Track Button on my MC Control, I get 2 kick drum tracks showing in the Nuendo 7 Mixer and on my Artist Mix.

But if I use one of my "Channel Visibility Agents," to show a particular channel view, ONLY THE DAW CHANGES, NOT THE CONTROLLERS.

I could understand it if my command came from another source, say my Xkeys or my QWERTY keyboard. But when the command comes from the controller itself, it seems like the hardware and software SHOULD work together on that command! Why is that? Why does it work on some things but not others?

Further confusing this issue is the fact that, where the hardware doesn't match the software screen, I can write macros that will make the hardware follow the command! If I can develop and use this work-around, that means that the capability was there all along, thus negating the need for the work-around! Why wasn't the macro already included in the protocol?

What am I missing here?
Old 12-31-2017, 03:01 PM

There is one set of EUCON commands to let the surface make stuff happen in the DAW, and another set of things the DAW uses to display stuff on the surface. None of your DAW is actually running on the surface, able to just magically display stuff there. It is the DAW specifically doing stuff to get things displayed over EUCON on your surface, and that is different than just displayed on the host computer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Why doesn't the hardware update to software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is one set of EUCON commands to let the surface make stuff happen in the DAW, and another set of things the DAW uses to display stuff on the surface. None of your DAW is actually running on the surface, able to just magically display stuff there. It is the DAW specifically doing stuff to get things displayed over EUCON on your surface, and that is different than just displayed on the host computer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But isn't that true across the board? In Nuage, the console surface ALWAYS matches the screen. Same goes for PT & the S6. Isn't that just preset programming? The DAW sends specifically coded EUCON DATA to make the surface reflect whatever the DAW is doing at any given point.

As I stated earlier, if I can write a Macro that makes my 3 Artist Series units match the Visibility Agents view in Nuendo, when I launch a particular view, then that tells me that EUCON understands that command. Therefor, it COULD have been incorporated from the manufacturer. If that's not correct, then that would be what I'm trying to understand about the protocol.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:12 AM

No it all depends on software doing the right, complex stuff. You were expressing surprise that something could happen, ... it’s complex software nothing just happens. The developer does not just wave a wand and have stuff reflect anything, the DAW had to continuously send EUCON data to the surface to display what is going on, that has to be coded into the DAW by the developer at a low level. Overall there is a lot of programming to make stuff happen, completely unlike anything you as a user see in administering/setting up EUCON. In the case of your problem, the point is just with so much going on it’s easy for stuff to be wrong, and maybe they just miss a little bit of code that decides to display stuff or not. If it’s a bug then focus on getting a problem report to folks so it can be fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-02-2018 at 11:23 AM.