Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 PM

Default No 3rd party interfaces with hdx!?!?!?!?

This is absolute bullsh*t! If I buy an HDX system I won't be able to use my Burl Mothership as my primary(or only) interface. For almost 10 years I could use what ever interface I wanted with Protools HD without having a digidesign/avid interface and now that they're new interfaces aren't selling well, we're being forced to use them.

Avid, if you don't like how poorly you're interfaces are selling, why don't you just stop making them???

If this is true with HDX I'm 100% done with Protools and Avid.

www.interlaceaudio.com
Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Default Re: No 3rd party interfaces with hdx!?!?!?!?

Where did you hear this?

In the live chat on Airusersblog.com, they said the same thing as they've always said about 3rd party interfaces that are made to be compatible with HD.

Which is: they want you to buy Avid interfaces, and can not offer support for 3rd party interfaces, but they don't purposely do anything to mess up the use of 3rd party interfaces.

In other words, it is up to those manufacturers to ensure their interfaces work with Protools HD and Avid has nothing to do with it.

So it's going to be the same as it's always been with Apogee, Lynx, and anyone else. It's up to them to make sure their interfaces work with HDX and are supported.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 PM

The new interfaces have been selling out since they were introduced.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 PM

One of the Avid reps replied to a question about 3rd party I/O with HD cards; paraphrased...

"We do not now, nor have we ever, supported 3rd party I/O with HD. With PTHD10, we will continue with this same policy. We have not *done anything* new to restrict this with PTHD10."

As I said.. paraphrased. And, it was only one reply that was this lengthy. Sorry I cannot recall who typed that. It was the last bit that stood out so much so as to make it memorable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM

Yeah, quite a bit of a difference between support and usability. You can use it, but don't call avid if you have a problem.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 PM

If and when they drop support for the 192, then third-party interfaces that masquerade as a 192 might need a firmware update to pretend to be one of the more recent interfaces, e.g. HD I/O.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:34 AM

BUT...and a big old wide "butt", you can't buy an HDX system without also buying an Avid interface.

Dongle days are here again...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 10-22-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
BUT...and a big old wide "butt", you can't buy an HDX system without also buying an Avid interface.

Dongle days are here again...
That's one of those things that I wondered about. Can you sell the Avid interface on eBay or elsewheres and use, for example, Apogee Symphony I/O a/d/a or Auroras without the Avid I/O hooked up? If you can't a lot of studios that are heavily invested in other a/d/a boxes are screwed major.

Of course the bigger question is why Avid did this in the first place.

QAPLA!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Thumbs down Re: No 3rd party interfaces with hdx!?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
The new interfaces have been selling out since they were introduced.
really.... I still see many blue 192's and Apogee A/D D/A

Answer why is Avid make it mandatory with HDX an Avid interface?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:22 AM

It is important to understand that the 3rd party interface manufacturers are the ones who need to sort this out. Avid doesn't help them with this, they need to get it working themselves. I'm almost positive that these companies will find a way to make their interfaces work with the HDX cards, it's just that it might require them to do a firmware update, or worst case scenario change their hardware to accommodate it. this takes time, and they can't start testing and developing this until they can get an HDX card to test with.

As far as being forced to buy a new interface if you want to buy the HDX cards, the market will correct this. If no one buys HDX cards because they don't want to buy an interface at the same time, it will force AVID to start selling the cards by themselves. I think what they are trying to do though is to avoid someone buying an hdx card, installing it and then being pissed that it doesn't work with their old blue interface.

What doesn't seem fair to me is the people who have already purchased the newest generation of HD interfaces can't just buy a new card, they have to buy a new card with another interface, even though they may not need another interface. I'm pretty sure something will change on this front. If you are a registered owner of a new HD interface, I think you should be able to buy an HDX card by itself for a fair price, and avid's going to have to realize that these people are not going to buy an hdx card until this changes.

All in all, I think the transition to HDX is going to take a while for the majority of pro studios to adopt. The cost of new interfaces, new plugins in the AAX format, etc. are going to take more time for studios to work into their budgets. I still know people running mix systems and even people that are using PTIII disk i/o systems(15 year old cards!) so I don't understand why people act like pro tools 10 is going to break their old systems or make them suddenly not useful anymore. I'm sure there will still be people running HD TDM cards and PT8 10 years from now.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?