Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: A Post Sound Need List

Quote:
Plug-in speciific modifications when doing a "Write to all enabled parameters" command. If a track has more than one plug, and some of the automation on those plugs is dynamic, i.e. changes within a region, but i want to write automation for the entire region on one of the plugs, i can't do it. it is easy to turn off volume and panning and stuff, so these params aren't affected, but i want to be able to "solo" just one plug for this command.
Actually, you can do this by clicking the "safe" buttons on the plugin window. Only the plugins that are not safe will be written.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Plug-in speciific modifications when doing a "Write to all enabled parameters" command. If a track has more than one plug, and some of the automation on those plugs is dynamic, i.e. changes within a region, but i want to write automation for the entire region on one of the plugs, i can't do it. it is easy to turn off volume and panning and stuff, so these params aren't affected, but i want to be able to "solo" just one plug for this command.
Actually, you can do this by clicking the "safe" buttons on the plugin window. Only the plugins that are not safe will be written.
Right. Thanks for the tip. I would like not to have to go throught that extra step for all the pluygs i don't want to affect though. this is a workaround and i appreciate the tip, but it does not make for very gracefull workflow. Better if there was a simle modifier key that changed the action to "write to all enabled parameters of OPEN plugin"

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-31-2004, 11:31 PM

Tom,
Yes, Only the plug ins on the screen would be automated. I've been talking to a few people about it like you. It would sure speed up the process! Is there any that someone could sugest a key sequence to do this? Any ideas?
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:40 PM

Chief,
I knew you would chime in. I asked however to keep the topic in HD/ HD Acell. I am very aware of your comments about bug fixes, and I have mentioned some of them to the powers to be. The list you compiled will be forwarded to the same above mentioned (or not named) people. I must strongly disagree about dealing with the product managers. Now back to the topic.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Right. Thanks for the tip. I would like not to have to go throught that extra step for all the pluygs i don't want to affect though. this is a workaround and i appreciate the tip, but it does not make for very gracefull workflow. Better if there was a simle modifier key that changed the action to "write to all enabled parameters of OPEN plugin"
Usually I am only hearing the changes I'm doing with the plug-in I have opened. Before closing, Command-Shift-C, make a selection, get out of Auto Suspend, track in Auto Latch, Command-Shift-V, Apply Automation to selection, click "OK". Why would you need a modifier to apply only to the open plug-in? How do you work?

Mine is not a very graceful workflow, I'll grant you that...

What bothers me, what really gets on my nerves and crying uncle, is that when I forget to make a selection ProTools assumes I want the changes to apply to the whole session.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:30 AM

How about a modifier to clicking on Safe in a plug-in window, for example OPTION-Safe would put all the OTHER plug-ins on a track into Safe, but the open plug-in (the one you want to work on) would be ready to go?
As far as that goes, why stop there? Maybe there's a way to "something-click" on, say. the panner that would allow you to just rewrite pan info, and leave everything else alone. Maybe that's a little much, but I think the plug-in part would be pretty cool.
Just a thought

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 11-01-2004, 07:51 AM

i'd like to second (or was it third) the vote for reliable metering. stereo, 5.1, 7.1... hardware ones, like the others that are available would be awesome, something separate from the i/o, but easily attachable. software ones would work too! spectra foo is great (for os9), but i think DIGI should provide this in the package -- something better than "BF Esential Meter". just rms and peak would be fine.

i'd like to suggest that we can have multiple volume (or other parameters!!) automation play lists on a track. if i am working on several versions of a sound that i want to audition later, or play for the client, i can have separate playlists for the region, but not for the automation that is sometimes quite different. if you have a big session, simply putting it on another track makes life more complicated.

also, scrubbing. is there a technical limitation or reason that you have to click on the timeline with the i-beam and only be able to scrub earlier that your insertion point? now, we can only scrub backwards and forward to the left of where we click on the timeline.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-01-2004, 09:07 AM

1. Different metering options, like a combined Peak/RMS mode for the EditPack meters. The Edit Pack was pricey, I think this should be an option as an alternative to some equally pricey Durroughs.
2. Folders in the bin, please!
3. A way to disabele only Plug-ins or a certain Plug-in automation. So you can adjust EQ on a track without losing Volume and Pan. I know there are ways around this, but it would be nice.

These are the 3 that come to mind right away.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:55 AM

An end to the legacy filename length!
enable the "Hide ProTools" shortcut.
6.7 (though I can't use it yet - Mix - seems to have added a number of features that I wanted.
Color coding of regions and markers, undo history list, multi video's in the movie track - though I'm unclear about exactly how functional this is.

One thing that sort of bugged me at AES was the lack of visibility of post on Digi's part. The "show" was loaded with very loud, and not so good, music that was often clipping in the speakers. Not too impressive for an audio company. Reminded me of the atrocious video's they used to send out that were very dark and badly produced. Also some what troubling for us with Mac systems was the move to windows. They demoed on Windows and the guy I talked to said this is a company wide Avid shift. I know Avid that was traditionally Mac is now optimized for the PC. I don't care that much except I hate changing OS's and I already did it once for PT.

SK
Old 11-01-2004, 12:16 PM

I'm sorry you didn't find me at the show, Jonathan. I was there!

With regard to telling you to contact CS for the bug fixes, "brushing you off" was the furthest from my intentions. What I was trying to impress upon you (in another thread) was this -

Digidesign has finite resources. We have to spend them wisely. If enough customers complain about a bug, we will fix it in a cs release, provided the fix is not too invasive. They are essentially "emergency" bug fixes, although in the case of Pro Tools 6.4.1, the emergency level is much lower, since 6.4.1 is the final release for the Pro Tools Mix|24 product line.

We have to determine how important a bug fix is before we take care of it. Part of measuring that importance is determining how many customers are complaining about it.

Although I am a Product Manager, I cannot drive a bug fix unless I have feedback that a number of customers are complaining about it, and that there is no simple workaround to the problem.

The "stop at shuttle speed zero" bug you mentioned was fixed in Pro Tools 6.6 (Robert Miller told me you asked him about this). I know that doesn't help you for MIX. What I would do if I were you is to make one simple posting on the DUC about this bug (only) in 6.4.1. Posting about one issue will help bring the "me too's" out of the woodwork, and help escalate the bug. Filling out the tech support form will also help, but a concise posting (one bug at a time) on the DUC is the most effective.

The "option -" bug you mentioned is a very old one. Why do I mention its age? Because it would have been fixed by now if there were sufficient complaints about it. So, make a post about this one bug fix only, and we'll see who "me too's."

I understand you are frustrated, which is why you listed all the issues above. Part of the frustration, I'm sure, is that these issues were not addressed in the main release of 6.4.1.

So, I'm not trying to brush you off by suggesting you take this path. I'm trying to give you ways to garner support for these bug fixes.

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign