How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjoe View Post
You could also try a Hiel Pr 20 ($150) or a Pr20U ($99) I just got one from a Rep to test and I blows My 57's out of the water, It's really Snappy with a great Body. Just my 2 cents

Drummerjoe
This. I had always used a 57 until musicians friend put the pr20ut on their stupid deal of the day. I had heard good things about them so I snagged one. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting more. They sound great on everything. Like a clearer cleaner 57. Even better than a beta 57 which I also own. They're somewhere between an sdc and dynamic mic. Best of both worlds kind of thing. IMO anyways.

Also I've been side micing the snare lately. Gives a big body sound. I tend to get enough top from the oh's. So I just compress the side mic and blend it in for a consistent snare level. Definitely gotta check the phase with the oh's this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Snare micing....How do you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegum View Post
I have also heard that the Telefunken M80 sounds killer on snare, but it's a big mic (compareed to a 57), so may be more difficult to squeeze into place.

I should get a chance to actually try my M80 out on a snare drum next month.

I was advised about 7 years ago on another forum regarding phase of the snare mics was to invert the phase of all the "top" mics and leave the Kick and bottom snare as is.

So that would mean inverting all mics that are above the snare (including overheads). It worked really well for my recording at the time.
I often find mucking around with the phase non different things helps a lot. Quite often my tom mics in relation to my overheads determines what phase my overheads are at.
- Yamaha HS80M
- Axiom Pro 49
- 500GB Sarotech Hardbox external HDD plugged through express card, FW800
- Waves Gold bundle, L3-16, Eddie Kramer
- 2 x Coles 4038, Royer 121, 2 x Shinybox MXL, 4 x SM57, 3 x SM58, AKG D112, SM81, Shure 16A, sE 2000, 3 x Audix D2
Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barters81 View Post
I often find mucking around with the phase non different things helps a lot. Quite often my tom mics in relation to my overheads determines what phase my overheads are at.
Everyone has a different way of checking phase. For me personally, since I use my overheads for the main picture and close mics just for effect, I always match the close mics to the overheads. I will zoom in on the tracks until I can see the phase, nudge them into alignment, and phase invert the tracks that need it. But I always check with my ears also. In fact I normally use a plug-in with a phase switch to check so I can quickly switch back and forth.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM

Yesterday I got to try out the Telefunken M80 on snare for a blues project I'm working on.

I found that I only needed the top of the snare mic'd. I was very impressed with the sound and the rejection of the hihat.

Most importantly, the drummer was really happy with the sound straight away.

I will now be keeping my M80, I've found a great use for it!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Also I've been side micing the snare lately. Gives a big body sound. I tend to get enough top from the oh's. So I just compress the side mic and blend it in for a consistent snare level. Definitely gotta check the phase with the oh's this way.
+1 for this, I have been micing the shell (side micing) INSTEAD of bottom micing with wonderful results. Take time in finding the sweet spot on the shell and you won't be disappointed.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 AM

Whenever I record music (fairly rare these days) I still go back to SM57 top and a Beta57 on the bottom.

SafeandSound Mastering

Last edited by Pentium; 10-10-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 AM

Shure SM81 with the 10db pad engaged, top mic only. It needs less EQ than a 57. The off axis sounds, like the hi-hat, are much smoother than a 57. If I think the drummer might whack the mic, I'll use a 57 instead.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barters81 View Post
I've started this thread to see what opinions people have out there on how to mic up a snare, what mics to use, how to tune the drum etc....

Recently I've been using a SM57 on top aimed directly where the stick (uaually) strikes the skin at around a 45 to 60 degree angle. I usually try to get it as vertical as I can but don't have great stands etc.

I place a Shure SM81 under the snare, not facing directly at the wires and at a distance so the mic doesn't overload.
I've tried dozens of different mics on snares.... from the reliable SM57 to the TLM103 (really made me nervous though!). Oddly, one of the best mics I've found is a RadioShack 33-3032 that someone threw in as a bonus on another mic (AT4033) I bought on eBay. What I've also found over the past 30 years of recording is that the most critical elements are 1) the drummer, 2) a TUNED snare and 3) a decent preamp. And God bless Moongels!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darney View Post
What I've also found over the past 30 years of recording is that the most critical elements are 1) the drummer, 2) a TUNED snare ..... And God bless Moongels!
I think this is the most crucia thing to pay attention to. If the drummer isn't good, the drums won't sound good. If the snare is out of tune, the entire set sounds out of tune.

I don't quite agree with the pre-amps, but they will impact the tone of the drums, but more often than not, I just run all the drums through the same Pres, as to add consistancy.

And moongels, indeed. If you have none, just use some folded toilet paper and duct-tape.

PR-30 -> HHb Radius 50 for Snare top
Oktava MC-012 with Card Cap. & 10dB pad -> Focusrite Voicemaster Platinum.

A fairly clean sound with some balls.