Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 02-28-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Command 8 weird button response problem

Hi,

I have been using this Command 8 since last May now, and its buttons don't take commands at the first pressing. It was very intermittent at the very beginning but lately I need to press two-three times in order to make them do something. This is the same on almost all the buttons, like transport or channel solo/mute switches etc.

It got to a point where I have started using the mouse and the keyboard now because I'm fed up with trying to make the PT roll after a number of repetitive pushes over the play button, or stop for that matter.

The faders are also sometimes late to follow up the automation changes on the screen. It's like something is bothering it and causing it not to respond the instructions from both sides.

It boots up and fader-test properly and responds to the first project launch and everything, but then it all goes sour.

Is there a sensitivity setting somewhere that went a bit overprotective about mistriggers that I'm missing, or is this unit faulty?

It's still under warranty, but I'm not sure whether I'm missing something in the settings before I call for a support or send this back.

Setup:

- Current C8 firmware version is 02.01.02

- Pro Tools LE 6.4 / Windows version running under XP Pro SP1 on a full Intel P4/Intel D850MVL machine, no hardware or driver issues.

- Digi 002R

- The unit is connected to the system via USB.

Any input will be highly appreciated. I can provide further information if necessary, such as menu settings or some other utilities etc.

Thanks in advance.

B.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Avid

Default Re: Command 8 weird button response problem

Hi, give this test a try.

- Power up Command|8 and press F1.Utility.
- Press the Select button #5 for "Switches"
- Press the various switches that have given you trouble and see if the display indicates the name of the switch on the first try.

If it takes a few presses before the display indicates "channel 3 solo" for example, then the Command|8 will require repair. However if the problem is not reproduced in the Utility mode, then the issue is with your config. In this case look for device driver conflicts and disable any unnecessary XP startup services.

best regards,
Digidesign Technical Support
Old 03-01-2005, 08:00 PM

I betcha it's the 6.4
Do you have another version of pt?
Don't return it just yet. Upgrade to 6.7 and see if it still does it.
Alot of people had this same problem with 6.4, C/8 or no C/8.
Including myself. It all went away with the upgrade.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 03-05-2005, 03:37 AM

Yep, I've checked it. The buttons respond to test at the first clicks so the unit is okay. It's obviously a driver/config issue.

Macr0w might be right, the software is 6.4 but the firmware is for 6.7 I guess. I was about to upgrade to 6.7 for the features like Beat Detective and Grid Lock for Tempo changes etc. anyhow so that should hopefully sort that out.

Many thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.

B.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I was about to upgrade to 6.7 for the features like Beat Detective and Grid Lock for Tempo changes etc. anyhow so that should hopefully sort that out.
The main reason for my upgrade was to get rid of the problem you describe. It drove me crazy for months.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
Old 04-06-2005, 04:01 PM

Just an update on this issue just in case someone else suffers from the same symptoms.

All the issues mentioned in the opening post have disappeared as soon as the 6.7 upgrade and the subsequent CS updates were installed.

Cheers,

B.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:17 AM

Thanks so much for this thread, Barish. I am having the exact same problem and it's driving me NUTS!

I notice it only happening when I'm using MIDI. As long as I am just recording audio, I haven't noticed a problem at all. When that's the case, I'm LOVING my C|8 (even though I can't believe they don't have a built-in talkback mic).

I also had a helluva hard time recording MIDI data with it. I would patch my keyboard through my C|8 and about every 5th note actually played. The rest never even registered. I now use a MOTU Express and just go around my C|8 altogether and that seemed to take care of that.

Therefore, I have to believe that it's a driver issue with the C|8. Now that I think that's the problem, though, I have no idea of how to fix it.

I'm going to do the things recommended in this thread and see if that helps. I'll post my results in the hopes that it might help someone else who's having this issue.

If anyone has ideas on what to do to fix the driver issue, PLEASE feel free to post.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:08 AM

You know about 2 months ago I started haveing problems with faders not following automation and not controling the sofware. And the whole button pushing thing was driving me crazy. I called and talked to digitech several times and they eventually gave me an RMA #. They replaced the main board and the volume pots and had it back to me in less than a week. It has worked perfectly since I got it back. Better send it in before your hardware warranty is out. Mine ran out on June 1st and I got my RMA # on May 28th.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
Old 06-07-2005, 07:04 AM

Wow, macr0w. Good thing your C|8 crapped out on you when it did!

I feel like such a moron. I got home and went through this thread again to try to troubleshoot. I ran the buttons test in utilities and that worked fine. It's not a hardware issue. I tried to check the firmware, but when I ran that little firmware update program I kept getting an error that it couldn't check which firmware the little bugger was using.

I'm running 6.9 and THOUGHT that I was using the most current install for the C|8, but I wasn't totally sure. Just in case this might be the problem, though, I uninstalled the C|8, DLed the latest C|8 drivers and install off of the digi site, and reinstalled it that way. This install was specifically for PT 6.9.

Unlike the last time I installed it, I didn't go through the "Windows found new hardware" wizard. I worried that Windows would put the wrong drivers in and I'd be back at square one.

Ok, so I fired up a session with plenty of MIDI in it and the C|8 worked like a champ! No button lag at ALL! This was only one night, so I need to check it more, but I think that took care of the problem.

Old 06-07-2005, 02:29 PM

What is your firmware version now? After reinstalling. I had the same problem with the firmware updater. I ended up using an older version of the updater per digitech advice and it worked like a charm. 02.01.02 is the latest firmware.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT