Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Is there an upgrade from PT12 to PT12 HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
With a bit of luck, as more people realise this, it'll make my 11HD upgrade from CPTK more salesworthy and valuable ;-)
The way the math works out, it might not become valuable than it is right now. For people that buy it right now, it only would cost $599 to upgrade to 12 HD. But in the new year, it'll be $999 for them (on top of what you sell the license for). Say you wanted to sell at $1200, once they include the $999 upgrade fee, they are starting to approach 50% of the cost of an HD Native + Omni system (except then they get hardware and all the benefits that go along with that). Software-only is a better deal overall of course, but is HD worth $2200 to somebody?

I ended up deciding not to sell my HD license though because compared to the annual vanilla price, I'm not spending that much more after the first year (~$40 per year - $399 vs $360) to keep it up to date.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingy View Post
The way the math works out, it might not become valuable than it is right now. For people that buy it right now, it only would cost $599 to upgrade to 12 HD. But in the new year, it'll be $999 for them (on top of what you sell the license for). Say you wanted to sell at $1200, once they include the $999 upgrade fee, they are starting to approach 50% of the cost of an HD Native + Omni system (except then they get hardware and all the benefits that go along with that). Software-only is a better deal overall of course, but is HD worth $2200 to somebody?

I ended up deciding not to sell my HD license though because compared to the annual vanilla price, I'm not spending that much more after the first year (~$40 per year - $399 vs $360) to keep it up to date.
I agree it's worth more now, that's why I hope I to sell it before the end of the year.

As for the rest of your maths though, I don't quite understand. For someone not interested in support or a few bonus rented plugins, the annual vanilla renewal fee is $99 as opposed to $399 for HD. That's $300 difference per year, not $40!

Plus factor in the "one off" joining fee of $99 vanilla or $599 HD, and that's a significant difference.

Add in the fact that, in my case, my vanilla licenses are already on 12 with a support plan until October 2016 as a free student upgrade, and the cost is even more stark. To keep vanilla up to date say until October 2018 is $198, but to keep HD up to date until November 2018 (if I buy the upgrade now) is $1397.

That's enough of a difference to make me stop and think.

Does anyone have advice re selling my HD License? Is it allowed on buy and sell here on the DUC? Should I just put it on ebay? Reserve price a good/bad idea?I'm a pretty experienced ebay buyer but I've never sold anything there. Any other pitfalls I should know about other than Avid's transfer fee. Other ideas?
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-21-2015, 08:57 AM

I was promoting my HD license here - nobody was biting though...eBay might be a good place.

In terms of the vanilla cost, isn't it ~$30/month for the monthly plan if you don't have a PT license? If you do have PT 11 (or PT 11 HD), then it would be $99 / year. But if you sell your license, you won't be eligible for that. You're right that you could "downgrade" from HD to vanilla by just upgrading to the vanilla version of 12 for $99 / year, which is significantly cheaper. You seem to have an HD license plus a regular license already, so you have more options than I do :) I might just downgrade to the $99 / year myself now that you've enlightened me. Good thing I didn't sell the license!
Old 11-21-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingy View Post
I was promoting my HD license here - nobody was biting though...eBay might be a good place.

In terms of the vanilla cost, isn't it ~$30/month for the monthly plan if you don't have a PT license? If you do have PT 11 (or PT 11 HD), then it would be $99 / year. But if you sell your license, you won't be eligible for that. You're right that you could "downgrade" from HD to vanilla by just upgrading to the vanilla version of 12 for $99 / year, which is significantly cheaper. You seem to have an HD license plus a regular license already, so you have more options than I do :) I might just downgrade to the $99 / year myself now that you've enlightened me. Good thing I didn't sell the license!
I have a 10/11 bundle HD license upgraded from CPTK (the one I'm planning to sell, plus two student 10/11/12 vanilla Licenses on support plans until September 2016, when my four years of free upgrades runs out, and I'll renew onto standard $99 update plans.

PS ..... As far as I know, there is no mechanism that allows you to downgrade from HD to vanilla, other than by buying a vanilla license and selling the HD license.

You can't buy a $99 vanilla plan and apply it to a HD license.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-21-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
PS ..... As far as I know, there is no mechanism that allows you to downgrade from HD to vanilla, other than by buying a vanilla license and selling the HD license.

You can't buy a $99 vanilla plan and apply it to a HD license.
So AVID is essentially forcing HD users to upgrade to the HD license for $599? There is no option for us to opt into regular PT except for signing for a new license which is $360 / year? That seems terrible! I want the option to choose the $99 plan if I no longer want HD features

EDIT: Just tried to add the regular $99 upgrade to my cart and checkout and the store said my iLok doesn't have the right license, so you're right - HD users can't downgrade to the $99. It's either $599 or buying a brand new PT vanilla license for $360 / year. This is criminal behavior by AVID. Unbelievable. Now, instead of wanting to continue paying for PT, I feel like just selling my HD license for whatever I can and never using an AVID product again.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:51 AM

Why would you pay $360 per year for Vanilla? That's the RENTAL price, not a permanent license. Go to audiodeluxe.com and buy a perpetual Vanilla license for about the same price. Do a search, many have purchased there for a great price.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-21-2015, 12:13 PM

Good point. Thanks for the suggestion.