Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:53 PM

Default Re: New Licensing

BTW the page says: "Please note that while Pro Tools | HD 11 can be used as standalone software, it only works with Pro Tools | HDX and Pro Tools | HD Native hardware"

This is not quite true. Pro Tools HD works with a lot of other interfaces too and has quite some features not available in Pro Tools (Standard).
Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 PM

I think Avid has elevated the vertical line character "|" to a whole new level of dumb useless annoyance. So is it Pro Tools HD or now Pro Tools | HD? Which Marketing | Plucktard thought that would be a good idea?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I think Avid has elevated the vertical line character "|" to a whole new level of dumb useless annoyance. So is it Pro Tools HD or now Pro Tools | HD? Which Marketing | Plucktard thought that would be a good idea?
Lol...It's called a "pipe" and it actually has a use in Unix systems. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_bar#Pipe

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 10-10-2014, 01:58 PM

No it's called marketing stupidity.

And yes if you were typing it into a UNIX shell like environment you could call it a pipe. But I'm not exactly clear why you would want to do that. Or do you know something we don't? Like Avid is going to rename the executable "Pro Tools.app" to say "Pro Tools | Software.app"? (that would really bugger up people trying to run it from a command line). (edit: Wholly [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] the DUC banned word catcher lets through bugger. I wonder if that was because of debugger).

Or maybe if it's confusing folks that think it is referring to a UNX shell pipe then Avid and all of us should escape the pipe as in "Pro Tools \| HD Software". Would that make you happier? I think I'll escape it in all future mentions just to avoid confusion.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:01 PM

What if I already own PT 11 HD? Is there any way for me to also buy into the support until 2016 with the deal?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingy View Post
What if I already own PT 11 HD? Is there any way for me to also buy into the support until 2016 with the deal?
That is the second or so time this question has been asked in this thread. The answer seems clear in the FAQ http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...4-Offer-FAQ#10 so the cost to you would be $599 per year if the FAQ is correct.

Remember it is now Pro Tools \| HD 11 not Pro Tools HD 11.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Gosh all of this sounds amazing, I can't wait, its so exciting ..... oh, actually, when I think about it .... what a load of old cobblers!

I don't think I'll be signing up in a hurry.

Maybe before trying to entice us to use Avid Everywhere, they ought to think about getting Pro Tools 11 running properly anywhere/somewhere.

What's that rush of wind! .... why it's all the post houses rushing for their chequebooks to get signed up straightaway!
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)

Last edited by nigelpry; 10-10-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: more sarcasm
Old 10-10-2014, 03:44 PM

From the FAQ-
**The new Pro Tools licensing includes a renewable, one-year standard Avid Support plan, which provides software updates/upgrades, unlimited web support, one phone support call a month, access to tons of helpful online resources, and more, so you always have help when you need it for the duration of your plan.

Hmmm... Online resources?? I sure hope the DUC isn't going to be protected and only available to PAID subscribers... And "online resources".. Hmmm the web site isn't exactly stellar to navigate and find stuff so how are we supposed to think this will be helpful..

I have Used a ASC, got lots of emails back and forth and screen shares and a couple phone calls... Well worth the 40 bucks. But Certainly not worth $600 a year as I have "Pro Tools | HD" software.

I and I'm sure many others fall on the No Savings part of the chart in the FAQ talking about how this is different... Except for the fact that a New 600 version wasn't every year... and in fact theres MANY things (VI Multiple outs being the main one) that Made PT 11 and its 600 price a complete waste of money till 11.2.1.

If this so called cloud and PT 12 comes out as thrown together and not well tested as 11 and we are all paying per year then I see a lot of Unhappy folks.

It really seems simple to that this pricing is way beyond the rest out there... specifically for the creative teams. Sure Post / Film at 600 a year, ok. But for guys doing music it sure seems like its WAY beyond the other options. I don't want to switch software. I once LOVED logic and couldn't stand not using it, then it went through a period of instability and moved on (TDM and non TDM session compatibility and resulting productivity in my situation was paramount) But This subscription just isn't a smart move in the long run for a company that didn't exactly inspire confidence in it most loyal and most profitable base i.e.: those who jumped on PT 11 early and those who did it at HD prices.

No one wants to pay more especially in these economic times for creative people in music specifically and of course any price increase is going to drive people nuts, having said that i really do thing this is excessive. Time will tell. I'm not going to say it will destroy avid because its possible i have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm skeptical which yet again doesn't inspire confidence in the tool I invested the most amount of time into learning and being productive... More so than the financial investment, but at what point will the financial investment be greater than my desire to NOT spend the extra time relearning something else...

Rant, sure. Anyway, my thoughts.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingy View Post
Of course not. Loyal supporters of Avid always get nothing.
Well, nothing is not technically correct.

Bend over...
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
Of course not. Loyal supporters of Avid always get nothing.
Well, nothing is not technically correct.

Bend over...
How can you say this???

Just cause I got $1000 upgrade from 9HD to 10HD
and a $599 upgrade from 10HD to 11HD
And now I get the honor of the same $599 as any other 9HD or 10HD person to...
uhhh 11HD again ... LOL

All kidding aside -
AVID: you should consider extending some consideration to your loyal customers...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Closed Thread